• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VIN and Fender Tag dont match up, Do you SUE or what?

It’s just what they did ALL legal and done through an insurance company and a body shop.
"All Legal" ....might not be the right approach - it is possibly more a case of 'There was no enforcement of the rules' at the time.

It was probably always illegal, but only recently did the enforcement of those rules come into being.
Not saying that is the case, but it is a huge possibility.

After I removed the dash is when the lime green paint was exposed. I did everything before the purchase to verify this was not a fraudulent car.
Can you show us pictures of the green incorrect colour?

There have been errors made in the past - this could be another one. Not likely but possible.

Disclaimer - I am not one of the two experts. :lol:

I just want to throw this out there-
On my 78 Monaco police car, it is obvious when the factory did the paint they emptied the gun on the floor board and roof of my car. Roof first, as it is charcoal metallic. It got a vinyl roof anyway. floor second, because in the back it started out a bit darker and by the time it was up in the front right up by the dash it was fully blue. You can see on the pillars and such where they came back later and some blue overspray ended up on the roof.

I don;t know how they did things 10 years prior to my car, but I certainly don't think someone was f'ing around trying to scam on a 78 4 door police package car lol. I just am not 100% I would be freeking out about some hidden interior paint not being perfect. In my case the painters were just being lazy lol. Bonus paint for me I guess! Extra thick!

Wait, he's gonna make a fake Superbird out of it anyways?
If that's the case, it doesn't matter one damn bit if the car has been monkeyed with in previous lives...
Sounds more like buyers' remorse than anything else at this point.

And I'm glad he's not cutting up an all matching #s car.

I don't know the guy you bought it from, but keep in mind, he may not have known either and only told you what he was told. **** like that has happened waaaaay before anyone cared about such things. Many moons ago I had a Challenger dash pad recovered through Year One Inc. They told me explicitly that if I didn't remove the VIN tag, I was not getting it back. So I drilled out the rivets and when it came back, I riveted it back on. With hardware store pop rivets.

I'm quite sure, years later, somebody somewhere is hopping up and down saying the car is a rebody because of the rivets.

It was illegal to send a vin plate through the mail is what they told me. I had bought a Challenger that someone had replaced the standard dash with a Rally dash and it had the wrong vin plate. Why did Chrysler ever make a dash pad with the vin plate affixed to it instead of the vehicle's frame?

I doubt I would spend a lot of time or effort on your miss match. I would be the last to miss represent a car, but your doing a tribute car anyway so.. IMO its kinda make it what you want to enjoy anyway.. In the back of my mind I know they are reproducing tags so lots of things are up for questioning but that's with any car and by this time most any care could have had a repaint by some previous owner and lost track of who did what.. etc.. I wouldn't skip a beat on that.

Exactly this. I saw a loaded T-top Camaro back in the 90’s repaired by cutting the car in 1/2 and getting whole rear clip from a salvage yard. It’s just what they did ALL legal and done through an insurance company and a body shop.

I rear clipped an 85 Iroc Z in 1990; and sold it to a happy buyer........... it was common practice back then

Scrape the paint on the front frame rails to see what color they are, look on the underside of the package tray for color

Vin on rad support matches dash. Is there a door tag?

Never know what's happened to these cars over 50 years. Seller may not know anything of the vins on the car.

I'd just build it and be under the assumption that there has been some repair at some point in its life.

Hi Doug... @69Coronetrt

I saw a body shop take a 1980 Malibu that was hit in the rear and back halved it with the same year El Camino that was hit in the front. You couldn't tell when they were done.
01-1668461305955@2x.jpg

1980-CHEVY-EL-CAMINO-2-1.jpg

1980-EL-Camino.jpg

I rear clipped an 85 Iroc Z in 1990; and sold it to a happy buyer........... it was common practice back then
That exactly what this was all Black...It had very low miles and was rear ended.

"All Legal" ....might not be the right approach - it is possibly more a case of 'There was no enforcement of the rules' at the time.

It was probably always illegal, but only recently did the enforcement of those rules come into being.
Not saying that is the case, but it is a huge possibility.
To clarify on this Camaro it was all legal. As far as this car who knows it very well could have been stolen or just a Satellite.

I’m just curious. Did you look into buying a satellite for this project before buying a RR ? The car you ended up with may very well be a satellite anyway. Did you run the dash VIN yet?
To be honest, if the goal was to make a fake 'Bird to begin with, circumstances would have favored the
selection of a Belvedere or Satellite as a base car to begin with anyways.

mine was a red T top car, I found a red rear clip with a full roof........ it worked
The back half that went on the black one was a yellow T-top. Looked funny before paint like someone bolted on a bunch of black parts...

It was illegal to send a vin plate through the mail is what they told me. I had bought a Challenger that someone had replaced the standard dash with a Rally dash and it had the wrong vin plate. Why did Chrysler ever make a dash pad with the vin plate affixed to it instead of the vehicle's frame?
Even worse is on early-mid `70`s trucks they were attached to the drivers door, change the door due to accident or rust and lose the vin tag if you don`t change it over.

Do like everyone else. Grind the trunk stamp clean and say it's AMD.... carry on.
/\ If the dash vin tag, fender tag and rad support numbers match I`d do that. /\
Bodies are all the same except for minor differences, numbers were only stamped into them for identification purposes if stolen. I saw it done and have personally clipped and rebodied cars the were wrecked back when I worked in collision shops, it`s common practice and perfectly legal.

Restore it or Restomod it. Replace the trunk opening if you want.
Replacement panels don’t have numbers, and no one is going to look at a show.
Might had been pieced back together at one time.

Enjoy your car, remember, it use to be someone’s daily driver.

Is the O/P still with us ?
Funny you should ask... I was thinking the same thing... As is often the case the poster doesn't get the response they were hoping for and they disappear....

Auto Transport Service
Back