• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Roadrunner exhaust question

Mark05NY

Local time
11:21 AM
Reaction score
Hi all!
It's exhaust time! 383/auto
I'm going to need the complete system from the original, HP, manifolds back.
I want it to be as original as possible.
Can anyone offer suggestions as to where I should get it from?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 582
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 627
Accurate Exhaust sells some nice stuff.

Yes, I saw their website just wasn't sure about their products.
Anyone have any experience with Gardner Exhaust Systems?

ECS Automotive concepts is the best, most factory OE correct set out there on the market now. We just put one in our GTX last summer.

I have a repo exhaust system on my 66 hemi Charger and it seems to be pretty good. Problem is I didn't buy it but will be willing to bet it's Accurate Exhaust. ECS has the best stickers so their attention to detail might carry on to the exhaust.

Good stuff. Thanks!
Last question. Most of these places offer a 'Magnum' muffler upgrade.
Is it worth it? Was it an original option? I'm looking for a nice sound, as close to original as possible.

The factory never offered an "optional" muffler. If you really want that ORIGINAL sound, then the ECS system is what you want as it puts out a darn near identical sound in tone to the factory system. I know Dave Walden, owner of ECS, had posted some comparison sound clips on I think it was You Tube of his challenger with the NOS system he had on there and then put the OE Repro system with the correct date coding on to his challenger and recorded it before and after.

found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz4_ymxLzYg

Hi all!
It's exhaust time! 383/auto I'm going to need the complete system from the original, HP, manifolds back. I want it to be as original as possible. Can anyone offer suggestions as to where I should get it from?

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

01.jpg

Dave,

Only difference that his would be is that the 383 did not have the H pipe but individual header pipes. I can't remember if the muffler was welded to the head pipe on the B bodies or not from the factory.

Yes. the only difference between the 440s and the 383 is the head pipe sizing I think. I know the tail pipe sections were all 2 1/4 for the big blocks.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way...... any exhaust system that you get, make sure it HAS weap holes in the mufflers. Don't ask me how I know as a certain company that I got a complete kit from for my charger (and it wasn't ECS exhaust as they were not making them yet) did not have the holes punched in the mufflers to let the condensation drain out. When I realized they were supposed to be in there, I took an awl and punched them in there and had easily a pint of rusty brown water come out and into a catch can. Pretty sure that ruined my muffler as they developed a rattle inside it. I finally replaced them last year with the ECS penta start and dated coded mufflers and had to bend the head pipes in order to get them to fit. Apparently, the company who made the complete system for my car was not all that accurate compared to what a factory exhaust should be bent like.

Yes. the only difference between the 440s and the 383 is the head pipe sizing I think. I know the tail pipe sections were all 2 1/4 for the big blocks.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way...... any exhaust system that you get, make sure it HAS weap holes in the mufflers. Don't ask me how I know as a certain company that I got a complete kit from for my charger (and it wasn't ECS exhaust as they were not making them yet) did not have the holes punched in the mufflers to let the condensation drain out. When I realized they were supposed to be in there, I took an awl and punched them in there and had easily a pint of rusty brown water come out and into a catch can. Pretty sure that ruined my muffler as they developed a rattle inside it. I finally replaced them last year with the ECS penta start and dated coded mufflers and had to bend the head pipes in order to get them to fit. Apparently, the company who made the complete system for my car was not all that accurate compared to what a factory exhaust should be bent like.

Where does the hole go. I have some TTIs with no holes. Guess what I also have a rattle.

You can see the hole in one of my pics. It faces the rear of the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back