• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 super bee rally dash question

BLK 68 R/T

Local time
4:49 AM
Reaction score
Years ago I owned a 1970 super bee, it was a 383, 4 speed, with virtually no options other than a white c stripe and 3 speed wipers. One thing I always wondered was why the wood grain dash was standard instead of the black pebble finish dash? It seems the wood grain was reserved for the more “upscale” models such as the GTX and the SE chargers. If the superbees and roadrunners were supposed to be the stripped down models why stick the wood grain dash in the super bee as standard but not the roadrunner?

I am sure someone with more intimate knowledge than I will answer but I think it was bc it was a Dodge and in the "family" Dodge was usually considered more upscale than Plymouth. Another answer might be simply logistics, its easier to source one line item than 2, granted the GTX has the same thing but that was an upscale Plymouth so perhaps that was just how they saw it.

All 1970 super bees had the wood gram dash, it was not an option.

We don’t know why they did it but is sure looks good!

Only the 1970 Charger SE and R/T SE models had the wood grain dash. All others 1970 Chargers were black pebble grain.

1970 Super Bees never got woodgrain on the upper doors like a Coronet R/T, and neither bench or bucket interior had woodgrain on the door panels.

Photos below are the upgraded bucket seat interior and no woodgrain on the doors anywhere.

E7D93848-78D5-4D64-9B8F-09A5E5666CA7.png 7FA95CD6-1BF8-4A90-BA7E-061CBAA8C3DC.png

Last edited:
My 70 Charger RT has Woodgrain dash. I bought it from the original owner. It all original down to the seat covers and carpet. I pulled the carpet because he smoked. Ac car.

All 1970 super bees had the wood gram dash, it was not an option.

We don’t know why they did it but is sure looks good!

Only the 1970 Charger SE and R/T SE models had the wood grain dash. All others 1970 Chargers were black pebble grain.

1970 Super Bees never got woodgrain on the upper doors like a Coronet R/T, and neither bench or bucket interior had woodgrain on the door panels.

Photos below are the upgraded bucket seat interior and no woodgrain on the doors anywhere.

View attachment 1012414 View attachment 1012415

All 70 Charger R/T models also had woodgrain dash trim...not just S/E package.

Auto Transport Service
Back