• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 440 exhaust manifold tabs? Also, what plugs should I run on a 60 over basically stock motor?

Kobrak

Local time
9:13 AM
Reaction score
Check out the photo enclosed. I don't remember these tabs being on my exhaust manifolds, but when I picked them up from getting them sand blasted, they were in a little plastic bag? No idea what they are for or where they go?

Also, when I took ownership of the car, the mota had AC Delco 41-985's in it. Should I keep running these or go with something else? Thanks!

IMG_0238[1].JPG

IMG_0237[1].JPG

Those tabs are for air injection lines. The tabs were used on non-air injected applications. Post some pictures of your manifold ends. There should be ports on them.

Champion RJ11YC were the factory plugs.

NGK XR5 are a good replace/upgrade within stock specs but being U-groove.

Does that spark plug on pic seem to be 5/8” hex?

Never have see those tabs before. No that I recall at least.

Last edited:
Air injection and related specific manifolds was California only in ’72. The block-off off plates would have been added later after removal of the air injection pump and lines. May have been homemade, wouldn’t have been a need for them from the factory. Federal production vehicles would have used different manifold castings altogether without any support for air injection.

Air injection and related specific manifolds was California only in ’72. The block-off off plates would have been added later after removal of the air injection pump and lines. May have been homemade, wouldn’t have been a need for them from the factory. Federal production vehicles would have used different manifold castings altogether without any support for air injection.
They're factory. Either as a factory service kit, or from factory in different regions.

A factory service kit to defeat or disable production installed California emissions equipment for 1972? Any backup for that, part numbers/pictures? Nothing in the parts catalogs. Never saw anything like that during my time at the dealers back then. Aftermarket maybe, I have a set of those California manifolds with block-off plates, they are defiantly homemade. Other regions, federal production? Would have used different manifolds, nothing to block-off.

A factory service kit to defeat or disable production installed California emissions equipment for 1972? Any backup for that, part numbers/pictures? Nothing in the parts catalogs. Never saw anything like that during my time at the dealers back then. Aftermarket maybe, I have a set of those California manifolds with block-off plates, they are defiantly homemade. Other regions, federal production? Would have used different manifolds, nothing to block-off.
Sorry ill backtrack,, I don't necessarily belive those were a bag of parts that were original to that car .. but the block offs were used by Chrysler in later years for sure. In 1972 specifically? I'm not sure

Assume the rest of the air injection system has been removed if they had blocking plates? I’d be looking for some federal versions of those HP manifolds if it were me. Those castings are pretty restrictive, the most restrictive of any HP variations from the time.
Cali manifoldr.JPG

Last edited:
Assume the rest of the air injection system has been removed if they had blocking plates? I’d be looking for some federal versions of those HP manifolds if it were me. Those castings are pretty restrictive, the most restrictive of any HP variations from the time.
View attachment 1736772
The cost factor could be a deterrent. Original factory manifolds are not cheap.

I’m not really worried about them being more restrictive, as I am not worried about horsepower. I still don’t know where they go?

I’m not really worried about them being more restrictive, as I am not worried about horsepower. I still don’t know where they go?
The front end of each manifold where the hose/tube fittings once connected. Will need some kind of high heat gasket as well.
cali manifold2r.JPG

cali maniflod3.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back