• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

25% off MSRP and still cant sell them

One of my businesses years ago dealt with these vermin directly. From firsthand experience I can tell you, they'd swindle their own grandmothers.

Maybe so but the question still is...WHY??? cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:
-No boogers wiped under the seats
-No body fluids from the previous owner's little brats permeated in the fibers
-No stripped oil drain plug
-No 10,000+ miles between oil changes
-No extended idling
-No abuse

Used car prices are usually too high for what you get. I bought my 2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman new for $45K, and there were plenty of used ones not much cheaper. Anything with over 100,000 miles I'd want to be under $15K, unless I knew the previous owner and how they treated it.

All of my savings from buying average 2.5 year old daily driver cars starting in 1997 (the first year I was able to afford to not drive a classic as a daily) has more than paid for my entire "old car" hobby.

1997- 1993 Dakota SLT CC 8K vs 15K

2003- 2000 Dakota R/T CC 16K vs 22K

2010- 2003 PT Cruiser $3500 vs 14K

2017- 2015 Renegade 15K vs 23K

That's 31K in savings plus the savings of not having to carry full coverage insurance, and NOT counting the trade in or resale we got on the first Dakota and the PT.

Plus I still have the Dakota R/T.

By contrast I have about 22K in all my old cars, parts and repairs combined!

New or used? OK, here is why one can be preferred over the other to different people.
If you can you do your own inspection of the vehicle? Buy used.
If you do your own repairs? By used
If reliability, on road breakdowns, replacing worn routine items, doing scheduled maintenance yourself, do not concern you? Buy used.

If any of the above items are not you. Buy new.

A close friend does not even know how to raise the hood on his cars. He buys new or leases every few years. Does not do any major repairs or anything other than oil changes as scheduled. No tires, no brakes, no fluid flushes, nothing. For him it is no worrys just drive the car. Buying new is right for him.

The crazy prices are one thing the other is how so many are indistinguishable from each other. Went to a classic car show on Saturday. Not all styling back in the day was attractive but it was dead easy to tell one brand and model from another. Death to the jelly beans.
Sometimes the cars of yesteryear look like jelly beans too. :)
1718720695445.png

When I was at the height of my corporate career, I drove really cheap cars (two Imperials, a '62, then a '66, and a beater '79 Cadillac Seville). They each cost less than 5% of my annual income at the time. Didn't have to worry about having my car stolen when parked at the airport during my days of frequent flying. The savings over new paid for every GTX I've ever owned, plus a good chunk of my retirement fund.

Last edited:
If any of the above items are not you. Buy new.

A close friend does not even know how to raise the hood on his cars. He buys new or leases every few years. Does not do any major repairs or anything other than oil changes as scheduled. No tires, no brakes, no fluid flushes, nothing. For him it is no worrys just drive the car. Buying new is right for him.
This was my dad back in the day. Buying new was the right choice for his situation. I figured out how much it cost him, and learned how to operate at the other end of the spectrum.

I drove used(up) rides most of my life. New cars now are purely a matter of lust, wasteful spending, and spending down the kids inheritance. The heck with em.

I always bought used cars and figured I always would let someone else take the big depreciation hit by buying late model cars used.
That worked out fine for me for the most part with only one car I'd call a lemon, a 2000 Lincoln I bought in 03 with about 40K miles that ended up giving me headaches regularly.
The first new car I ended up buying was a '09 Challenger RT when I was in my mid 40s, which I bought as a enthusiast car, nice days and weekend driver, not a daily driver. Since then I bought a couple new cars, a 14 Dart and 21 Ram 2500. I got decent deals on both and still own both. Its good knowing the history of a vehicle since day one. For people who get new cars every 3 or 4 years, that might not mean much, but I usually own my dailys for a long time, sometimes over 10 years. I take good care of my cars and they seem to return the favor!
I'll be retiring soon and what I'll do when I don't need a commuter car is TBD. I do like having a beater for the winter weather months, so don't want to only have a cool car for a driver. I suspect that assuming my truck stays reliable it might be my last truck. I have been toying with buying a leftover new or very low mile used Challenger for a fair weather driver/toy.
I'm concerned about what Stellantis is doing with CDJR though, the way things are going I am not sure those brands will still be around in 4 or 5 years!

I have had bad experiences in car dealership sales rooms, but buying my Grand Cherokee was the worst. I had found this Jeep through CarGurus, but it was 1.5 hours away in the Toronto area. This was a Limited X, which gave it most of the appearance of an SRT, but with a V-6. I had already run the VIN through a Chrysler computer and discovered that it had extended warranty. On inspecting the vehicle, I noticed it had a dent in one door that could likely be fixed with paintless dent repair. I tried to use this defect as a bargaining point, to no avail. The salesman said they had just dropped the price by $5000, and would go no lower.
We negotiated a deal, using my vehicle as a trade-in. Then, the salesman said I had to finance the Jeep through the dealership. I told him that I had my own funds in place, and would not finance with them. He replied that financing through the dealership was a condition of sale. He went on to say that Chrysler was upset that people were buying high demand vehicles in Canada, and then selling them in U.S. for higher American $$$. To stop this, the dealerships were tying them up with a lien. He said I could pay off the loan after 6 months.
The salesman then turned me over to the finance guy. This is when I should have walked out. This clown tried to sell me the extended warranty all over again, plus security features, that were already on the vehicle for $1400. I explained that I knew this vehicle already had all this on it, by previously running the VIN, and just needed the warranty transferred to my name. He told me that there would be a $1400 charge for this. I told him he was full of $hit, that there was no charge for the transfer. Then he went on to the financing talk. I grudgingly signed up for it, knowing I could pay it off early. I signed the sales papers, and we could pick up the Jeep on Monday (this was Thursday), after it had been safety checked.
Halfway home, I realized we had not been given a copy of the sales contract. Once home, I E-mailed the finance guy that I needed my copy of the sales contract. I did not get this until Saturday, and noticed that this $1400 of crap was added on to the final price. At this point, I called the guy at the dealership and told him I was not going to pay this extra charge, and that he should deduct it. His response was that this was a legal document with my signature on it. I reminded him that we had had quite a discussion about this extra charge, and I certainly would not have signed the sales papers with this $1400 on it. He got real huffy and asked if I was implying that he had forged a legal document. I said, "BINGO!" . That is exactly what I am saying. I told him if he was going to keep talking about legal documents, I would have my lawyer continue the conversation with him. I said I was going to start looking for another vehicle to buy, and hung up on him.
About an hour later, the dealership guy called to ask me how we could get this deal back on the rails again. I told him that I would NOT finance it through them, and would NOT pay again for the extended warranty that was already on the Jeep. I wanted the $1400 deducted, along with the financing fee, and associated taxes. This was over $2000. I had already left a cash deposit in the amount of the sales tax. I said I needed to see a revised sales contract by the end of the day. I had it in an hour. The new terms were now agreeable to me, so I said I would bring a Certified cheque with me, and complete the deal on Monday. It was a chilly reception at the dealership, and we were in and out in 15 minutes, with my new (to me) Grand Cherokee.
In hindsight, I should have just walked, and found another Jeep to buy, rather than suffer this assault on my blood pressure. I did notice that my wife and I were about the only white folks in this store. I think it makes its living selling to new immigrants to Canada, who do not know all the rules.

Last edited:
I always buy low mileage used vehicles. My latest was a 2020 Grand Cherokee Limited X, purchased in April, 2022. It turned 12,000 miles (20,000 kilometers) on the way home from the dealership. It was a clean, one-owner Jeep with extended warranty. I saved over $20,000 from list price. I was allowed $20,000 for my 2015 Durango that I paid $28,000 for in 2016.

View attachment 1680710

I buy rust free wrecks with fresh engines :D

I have had bad experiences in car dealership sales rooms, but buying my Grand Cherokee was the worst. I had found this Jeep through CarGurus, but it was 1.5 hours away in the Toronto area. This was a Limited X, which gave it most of the appearance of an SRT, but with a V-6. I had already run the VIN through a Chrysler computer and discovered that it had extended warranty. On inspecting the vehicle, I noticed it had a dent in one door that could likely be fixed with paintless dent repair. I tried to use this defect as a bargaining point, to no avail. The salesman said they had just dropped the price by $5000, and would go no lower.
We negotiated a deal, using my vehicle as a trade-in. Then, the salesman said I had to finance the Jeep through the dealership. I told him that I had my own funds in place, and would not finance with them. He replied that financing through the dealership was a condition of sale. He went on to say that Chrysler was upset that people were buying high demand vehicles in Canada, and then selling them in U.S. for higher American $$$. To stop this, the dealerships were tying them up with a lien. He said I could pay off the loan after 6 months.
The salesman then turned me over to the finance guy. This is when I should have walked out. This clown tried to sell me the extended warranty all over again, plus security features, that were already on the vehicle for $1400. I explained that I knew this vehicle already had all this on it, by previously running the VIN, and just needed the warranty transferred to my name. He told me that there would be a $1400 charge for this. I told him he was full of $hit, that there was no charge for the transfer. Then he went on to the financing talk. I grudgingly signed up for it, knowing I could pay it off early. I signed the sales papers, and we could pick up the Jeep on Monday (this was Thursday), after it had been safety checked.
Halfway home, I realized we had not been given a copy of the sales contract. Once home, I E-mailed the finance guy that I needed my copy of the sales contract. I did not get this until Saturday, and noticed that this $1400 of crap was added on to the final price. At this point, I called the guy at the dealership and told him I was not going to pay this extra charge, and that he should deduct it. His response was that this was a legal document with my signature on it. I reminded him that we had had quite a discussion about this extra charge, and I certainly would not have signed the sales papers with this $1400 on it. He got real huffy and asked if I was implying that he had forged a legal document. I said, "BINGO!" . That is exactly what I am saying. I told him if he was going to keep talking about legal documents, I would have my lawyer continue the conversation with him. I said I was going to start looking for another vehicle to buy, and hung up on him.
About an hour later, the dealership guy called to ask me how we could get this deal back on the rails again. I told him that I would NOT finance it through them, and would NOT pay again for the extended warranty that was already on the Jeep. I wanted the $1400 deducted, along with the financing fee, and associated taxes. This was over $2000. I had already left a cash deposit in the amount of the sales tax. I said I needed to see a revised sales contract by the end of the day. I had it in an hour. The new terms were now agreeable to me, so I said I would bring a Certified cheque with me, and complete the deal on Monday. It was a chilly reception at the dealership, and we were in and out in 15 minutes, with my new (to me) Grand Cherokee.
In hindsight, I should have just walked, and found another Jeep to buy, rather than suffer this assault on my blood pressure. I did notice that my wife and I were about the only white folks in this store. I think it makes its living selling to new immigrants to Canada, who do not know all the rules.
You forgot to tell us....... how do you like the Jeep?

Treat ALL dealer salespersons as enemy, with the understanding that they're ALWAYS trying to screw you.
Agree with that and stay away from Bill Luke. They’ll slide it to you in a heartbeat.

Here’s the sad news about that car, if that car was good looking and actually looked like the 2004-07 they wouldn’t be sitting on the lots!

After I believe 2008 that car is a wannabe rebadged Audi.

If the car was good looking, it would sell for 50 to 60 grand people are paying 50 to 70 grand for these hideous chargers, but the truth is the charger does look a lot better.

You forgot to tell us....... how do you like the Jeep?
Love it! It was worth all the BS to land the deal. Comfortable, good on fuel, with surprising power from the V-6.

Off topic but I found a 1977 W200 around 1980 on a used car lot. Good looking truck and it had a rare 440, Dana 60 front end and already had a Warn 8000lb winch on it. The truck looked pretty good, salesman said it belonged to a man from out of town who had died and his wife had just traded it off on a car. I thought to myself "what a load of BS" however the truck was in good shape and I bought it anyway.
I pick it up, drive it over to the Chrysler dealer (whom I was quite friendly with) to order some Challenger parts. A salesman I knew came out and said "hey I know the story on this truck", I thought oh boy this should be good. Well he told me the same story the shady guy at the used car lot told me. Had to be a one time deal and I still chuckle about it.

I wouldn’t buy anything from courtesy in mesa Worst service I have ever had to deal I made a service appointment for my hellcat for factory recalls. It was a week out. Took in on the day and asked what time I could pick it up. They told me 3-5 days. I asked why. The appointment was just to get in in the system. I started taking pictures of the car in case it got damaged sitting in there lot. He told me if I was worried about a scratch or 2 they wouldn’t work on it. Told him to stick his service up his *** Just warning you how they treat customers

Auto Transport Service
Back