• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

360 LA firing order confusion

chieftian

Local time
11:18 AM
Reaction score
All the books and diagrams show a common firing order...but! their is a #1 stamped next to the spark plug closest to the passenger. If that were #1 cylinder, that goes againt all the info... so why would there be a #1 stamped there if it were not? I have cheecked #'s in the past and belive it is a 360 small block...I'll check again.

all Mopar V8's have #1 at drivers side front of engine. Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Distributor rotation is clockwise on a small block, counter-clockwise on a big block

Not sure about the #1 you speak of but it's not on the pass side. Left bank from front to rear: 1,3,5,7. Right bank front to rear: 2,4,6,8. Firing order: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Distributor rotation is clockwise from top.

If you were to swap the heads from one side of the engine to the other, it would put that #1 stamp in the correct position. It could be that the heads were on the opposite sides of the engine when it was originally built and were removed and re-installed later the way thay are. Since it deosn't matter which side the heads are on, it is really irrevelant. Just remember that #1is at the front on the driver's side;

Thanks! That totally makes sense. I bought a short block from a local machine shop and have done the rest myself. ..But that #1 confused me...I realize I show a little vulnerability when asking for help.... But I can take it..

if you were to swap the heads from one side of the engine to the other, it would put that #1 stamp in the correct position. It could be that the heads were on the opposite sides of the engine when it was originally built and were removed and re-installed later the way thay are. Since it deosn't matter which side the heads are on, it is really irrevelant. Just remember that #1is at the front on the driver's side;

huh????? LOL

It's not a 1 in regards to the firing order, it's just a cast line that could be mistaken for a 1.

Auto Transport Service
Back