• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 engine stamp

Dakotaacres

Local time
5:46 PM
Reaction score
I've been cleaning up the engine compartment. 383 has been replaced years ago. Looking for stamp marks on front of block. Nothing stamped on the traditional pad, drivers side front of engine. Only marks I found was passenger side under the distributor. numbers 50685. Anyone know what this means?

IMG_3397.JPG IMG_3399.JPG

A shop put a job number there to ID it to the customer. Has no bearing on anything else. I hate when this is done as it takes away from the originality of the engine. This is why I use a sharpie because it will disappear with a little carb cleaner... As far as the pad goes, a super easy way to tell between a RB and a B motor is the top pad. If it is there, it is a 413/426/440 and if it is not then it will be a 361/383/400.

Last edited:
I've been cleaning up the engine compartment. 383 has been replaced years ago. Looking for stamp marks on front of block. Nothing stamped on the traditional pad, drivers side front of engine. Only marks I found was passenger side under the distributor. numbers 50685. Anyone know what this means?

View attachment 961890 View attachment 961891

I can't tell exactly what you are looking at in your pictures but I don't think you are looking in the correct location. Driver's side front of the engine is where the ID is for a SB engine, not a BB.

Did the RB block 383 in 59-60 look like the later RB blocks with the engine stamp pads?

Did the RB block 383 in 59-60 look like the later RB blocks with the engine stamp pads?
I am not sure. I have not seen one (or a 350), and was going speculate on it, but decided not to.

The 383 ID pad is on the right side on the deck surface under the distributor like the OP says. In all my years of MoPar insanity I'd have to say those numbers are not factory. Only guess would be an older production style rebuild ID like from Automotive Engineering? One could actually go to an old parts chain called Grand Auto and order a rebuilt engine. My buddy's dad got a Ford 200 six for his Falcon and it actually ran fine. Another possible scenario is a warranty block and that might be the job number? I have a 68 hemi block that only has the initials BBD on the pad with the partial 68 VIN on the back of the block.

Parallel surfacing a B block often removes the factory stampings.

I can't tell exactly what you are looking at in your pictures but I don't think you are looking in the correct location. Driver's side front of the engine is where the ID is for a SB engine, not a BB.
What is an SB Engine? Sorry, I'm new to this stuff.

383 would be passenger side in front of the head.

View attachment 961899
Question?
My engine has the number 3 stamped into the flat cast pad just to the right of your circle on the left hand bank. It doesn't even have the flat pad you have circled on the left side bank.
So is there a way to tell which enging by that number 3?
There are no numbers on the right (passenger) side enging bank surface you have circled.

IMG_20230501_192328856_HDR~2.jpg

Question?
My engine has the number 3 stamped into the flat cast pad just to the right of your circle on the left hand bank. It doesn't even have the flat pad you have circled on the left side bank.
So is there a way to tell which enging by that number 3?
There are no numbers on the right (passenger) side enging bank surface you have circled.

View attachment 1458860
It is a 383 engine.
thank you

Auto Transport Service
Back