• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Super Bee vs 5.7 Challenger RT

horace

Local time
2:22 PM
Reaction score
We have a 69 Super Bee 383 Mag 3.23 auto STOCK and a 06 Challenger RT 5.7 auto w 3.06 both stock no mods. I wonder how they would stack up in a quarter mile. I Looked " old road test but there is such a discrepancy between 68 and 69 I did not find them valid!! Anyone done it Trying not to risk my now clean driving record after years of speeding offences

Challenger all day long.

Only one way to know for sure.
JUST DO IT!

Those 5 and 8 autos make it a bitch to run with the new cars. My hemi roadrunner will run with a hellcat, till my high gear....then say "uncle"

3.06 is the final drive 1:1 ratio, or the overdrive?

I bat it's closer to 3.9 at the axle.

That's a lot of why newer cars run better quarter mile times and don't have to trade of much haghway MPG.

Those 5 and 8 autos make it a bitch to run with the new cars. My hemi roadrunner will run with a hellcat, till my high gear....then say "uncle"
I'm guessing your Hemi Roadrunner isn't stock.

Nope, not stock. And those new autos are about 3.50 in low gear. It allows those things to almost have infinite gearing from bottom to high gear. Rear ends are 3.0's. My gen III/`cuda conversion has a 2.94 rear.

Take them to the track if you're worried about doing it on the street....

the 5.7 should easily nail the 383 auto. back in the day a lot of 3.23 geared 383 autos couldn't get into the 14's. i'd say a good running one would do 14.75-14.50 in the quarter.

Challenger, no question. A lot of our beloved musclecars without special tuning were 15 second cars, especially with stock tires. A brand new Toyota Camry V6 will do 14.3 and I'm sure the Challenger will beat that too.

If you go to the track I'll take a shot at guessing.

14.72 for the Bee, and 13.79 for the Challenger

I knew the R/T would win just wasn't sure if would be the Little Big Horn all over again. Been a l o n g time since I did any racing. I'm pretty sure the ratio is 3.06. You will never believe it BUT I have
N E V E R raced my Super Bee in the 47 years I have owned it, land speed record was my style.

I raced my Bee the day I bought it.

I'll never forget a hot summer night chatting with a buddy next to his '69 GTO (I had a '67 at the time before going Mopar). Along comes this guy in a gray '71 Challenger R/T with his girlfriend riding shotgun. I noticed the window sticker still on the window. He stops and asks if we would like to run; my buddy and I flip a coin he wins to take his car for the run. Challenger having auto and my friend with a 4-speed, Challenger won the 1st time then we do a repeat and the GTO wins. Then the guy says let's do it again...the 3rd run never finished as the Challenger sputtered, knocked, and died...to the shoulder he went. We went over to him as his engine was hissing away and I ask him when he got his Dodge...reply...less than an hour before!! It had maybe 30 miles on it...I said geez pal you ever hear of the "break in period"? Having a love for Challengers and Cuda's I owned both over the years, it was a sorry sight to see the guy wreck his brand new ride. We called the towing service for him...

the 5.7 should easily nail the 383 auto. back in the day a lot of 3.23 geared 383 autos couldn't get into the 14's. i'd say a good running one would do 14.75-14.50 in the quarter.

My first car (66 Belvedere II) got a rebuilt 383 with 67 GTX heads, Offy 360 intake w/Holley 750 DP, 727 trans and converter from a totaled 69 Bee and headers from same. A shop where I swept floors when I was 12 and 13 did the long block. Was supposed to have a mild cam but it sure didn't sound like it but with 2.94 gears, it ran 14.80's crossing right at the 2-3 shift. It was faster than just about all the factory stock 383 road runners I ever came up against but the car wasn't any faster with 3.91's. Funny thing is that it seemed to be getting traction. It was my first engine swap AND attempt at high(er) performance. Didn't get much time to play with it to sort things out as I got drafted soon after. :(

Don't know what the guy did to his Challenger but the factory usually ran them pretty hard before going out the door. Maybe some over zealous porter got a hold of it before he did or some tire kicker took it for a test drive and ran the snot out of it. I've heard some pretty crazy stories happening at rail heads and in dealer back lots with some of those cars. I bought a new for 92 Dakota 5.2 with 3.90 gears and ran the dog out of it on the 45 mile ride home but the first 20 miles was normal driving on the freeway with some up and down romps before taking it to 90. If the track had been open that evening, it would have been there but as it were, it had just under 200 miles when it hit the 1/4 and it ran a 15.30 which was decent for a teen imo. It was right with the Mudstains of the day and it killed the SS 454 pickups with ease lol

Cranky, I wonder if the cam was different than the stock 383 4bbl because the 66 & 67 had a milder camshaft than 64-5 & 68-9. My 66 Coronet 500 factory 383 4bbl & my 66 Charger w/ 383 wer both a little poochy. There were some factory cars sold to dealers that were "test track" cars, did they perform. I remember a 68 SB yellow w/ updated hurst 4spd & Ram AIR & A 69 R/T 4spd 3.54 ax & a now get this a green Charger R/T w a red stripe auto. Those cars flew. They were sold @ the Chrysler lease car sales to dealers, I know because Dad sold Dodges

Auto Transport Service
Back