• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed swap

prhousejr

Local time
8:25 AM
Reaction score
Anyone know of any good articles on the web of a auto to 4 speed swap?? Preferably a 68 plymouth b-body. I am wanting to study up on everything involved to see if it is anything I want to tackle. Any help on the topic is welcome. Thanks.

I did the conversion 25 yrs ago on my 68 RR and it wasn't too bad.

Here's a parts list off the top of my head:

Pedals and clutch pedal support bracket with stud plate. No need to replace or remove the complete pedal bracket assy but it's easier if you remove it to get the spring in. Don't put your hand under the pedal once the spring is installed!! WHACK!!!

Frame ball stud bracket and ball stud. Bracket is welded to frame.

Ball stud for bell housing.

Match bell housing for flywheel being used. 10.5" is fine. If you have an 11" FW use the 10.5" disc (less inertia for speed shifting).

Short adjuster rod with retainer clip, adjuster nut, thick washer and insulator. The toothed part of the nut goes into the counterbore in the thick washer.

Bellcrank with half round bushings and spring clip

Rod from pedal to bellcrank and clips.

4spd cross member. Mount and drive shaft are the same.

Boot for firewall and release fork.

Floor hump.

Release fork.

Floor shift steering column sleeve (without shift indicator) if you want to make it right.

Reverse light and wiring.

I think that's about it unless I missed something.

By the way, I have some of what you need. PM me.

Auto Transport Service
Back