• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 to GEN2 Hemi Swap

71_Duster

Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone completed a conversion from an RB to a Gen 2 Hemi in a 67 B-body that has some real world costs associated with it?

My 440 is tired and like most Mopar guys owning a Hemi is one of those ultimate's. Not looking to do a numbers type swap and make it look 100% original sort of a day 2 type look.

I know it's not cheap but jsut how not cheap is it?

Depending on what you find,and how you want the engine built,,,,,,,8k to 25k

HEMI-ITIS has NO cure,,,,,,,are you sure you want to go down that road?? I DID!!

Yeah 25k would be too much. I figure a new 426 block, iron heads and a mostly stock build. Probably headers and aftermarket intake.

In stock form you read a lot of bad stories from back in the day of trying to street drive a hemi. What sort of changes to make it more drive-able are advisable?

The current plan was to rebuild the 440 to the 500hp range which most quotes are from $5500 - $10,000 depending on stroker set-up or not.

The difference between the wedge & hemi starting from scratch is the valve train.HEMI is about $2500 more. Might be better off with aluminum heads,some good choices these days.

If you separate the cost of the motor from the cost of the swap its really not bad. If you run a motor plate it is almost a bolt in deal. Headers,flex plate,flywheel,throttle linkage not much else. Its getting that motor thats the bitch....

Hemi can nickle and dime you to death. Throttle brackets,ka-ching! Valve covers,ka-ching! Spark plug tubes,ka-ching! Wire insulators,ka-ching! Air cleaner assembly,ka-ching! If its for a hemi price is doubled. Surprised a can of spray paint isnt double.

The ka-ching depends on the bling:usflag:

1.27.13 006.jpg

You talking to me? Cause if them wires come with tubes I'll take em!

Full disclosure - I don't own Hemi but I have been involved in these swaps before. I think it's safe to take a 440 rebuild estimate of $8500 US and at minimum double it, preferably triple it to give yourself some wiggle room if you have no block or cores. It's not cheap, and unless you buy a running original core you will spend on EVERYTHING. You can save by searching for deals as they come up but you will need a LONG time to put it all together.

If you have the Hemi then it's no worse than anything.

Headers, conversion mounts, pulleys, brake master/booster. Dip stick.
Fuel system upgrades might be required depending on your cars options.

The engine is pricey. I did the swap in a 67 RT.

Auto Transport Service
Back