• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5,500 mile Road trip to Alaska in a 1970 440 6barrel RR

Rear end gearing was 3:23 but 2:76 would have been much better because it really didn't like going over 60 miles per hour

- - - Updated - - -

$2,000.00+ 440 six barrel it averaged about 10 to 11 mpg and a few sets of spark plugs due to fowling at higher altitudes.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes! I understand the roads are way better now. The reason for the trip is My brother moved to Alaska 10 yrs. ago and has been having the RR restored in Maine at the time and just finally got the chance to get it up there. He says it was cheaper driving than having it transported. I'll have to say that it was a risk worth taking. I will explain in more detail when I get our log book ironed out so I get all the facts straight. Yep! it was a fantastic trip and thanks everyone for the comments

Nice! Mine gets a solid 17mpg with 2.7x gears on my 100 mile commute at 75mph. 383 ci with a miserly 650 carb. I would love to take my car on a real road trip, nothing beats cruising with the windows down in a hardtop. Aiming for Woodward dream cruise in Detroit. I'll need to bring the 4.56 Sure grip in the trunk to swap in for burnouts..

Freaking awesome road trip gentlemen! :icon_pray:

Truly an epic journey...well done on taking the challenge to drive rather than transporting the RR. :headbang:

Rear end gearing was 3:23 but 2:76 would have been much better because it really didn't like going over 60 miles per hour

- - - Updated - - -

$2,000.00+ 440 six barrel it averaged about 10 to 11 mpg and a few sets of spark plugs due to fowling at higher altitudes.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes! I understand the roads are way better now. The reason for the trip is My brother moved to Alaska 10 yrs. ago and has been having the RR restored in Maine at the time and just finally got the chance to get it up there. He says it was cheaper driving than having it transported. I'll have to say that it was a risk worth taking. I will explain in more detail when I get our log book ironed out so I get all the facts straight. Yep! it was a fantastic trip and thanks everyone for the comments
P6200150.JPG
P5210014.JPG IMG_1466.JPG IMG_1431.JPG

Is that a photo of Denali ?
or what it was called when I lived up there, Mt. McKinley

epic trip, congrats :thumbsup:

This trip should be labeled under the Big Balls thread. That sounds like a monster trip. Congrats on pulling it off with the car still intact. Love to see more pics of the Alaska part.

Is that a photo of Denali ?
or what it was called when I lived up there, Mt. McKinley

epic trip, congrats :thumbsup:
The mountain photo is ghost mountain as seen from Delta Junction. We did go to the 95 mile marker into Denali that's where we found the moose antlers laying on the ground. I think we got around 400 photo's
Up there in Alaska.
P6260156.JPG
P5290062.JPG
013.JPG
P5200010.JPG

This one is currently at a auto museum in Faibanks. They have a nice collection on antique cars including this bus. Must of been a rough riding tour.
IMG_1462.JPG
IMG_1460.JPG
IMG_1465.JPG IMG_1463.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back