• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63 Dodge 440 RB header fit

GASSR

Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
Before I take a large hammer to my new headers, I am hoping someone out there may have the same combo as me and guide me on if there is a way to make my headers fit without 'modification'. I have a 63 440 Dodge. I am using a QA-1 k member so it sets the engine back like fitting a 66 k member would. The 440 has Edelbrock heads. I have Dougs headers with the larger primaries. Passenger side fits great but the drivers side second tube back hits the steering box which is a Borgeson. Are there any tips on how to move the motor over more to the passenger side (I have the later style motor mounts with a single bolt). All suggestions welcome.

Before I take a large hammer to my new headers, I am hoping someone out there may have the same combo as me and guide me on if there is a way to make my headers fit without 'modification'. I have a 63 440 Dodge. I am using a QA-1 k member so it sets the engine back like fitting a 66 k member would. The 440 has Edelbrock heads. I have Dougs headers with the larger primaries. Passenger side fits great but the drivers side second tube back hits the steering box which is a Borgeson. Are there any tips on how to move the motor over more to the passenger side (I have the later style motor mounts with a single bolt). All suggestions welcome.
Rookie question - would a different steering box clear?

A manual steering box might ... but I am pretty invested in keeping the Borgeson quick ratio power steering. Would really mess up my belt system, not needing a power steering pump.

440 complete left.jpg

Last edited:
What are the Dougs headers made for?

66 and up B Body. Given that is the type K member I am using I would have expected the relationship between the motor, and steering box to be OK. I suspect the Edelbrock heads may be wider than stock and be causing the problem.

Right header.jpg

The Borgeson box is supposed to be smaller than the stock power steering box.

Have you tried bending the tube that’s in the way?

Pretty sure that borgenson box sits further up on the steering shaft. Last one I seen with that box had the #2 tube smashed up to fit.

I look at that last Pic and think street rod, Speedway, pillow block and another u joint.

The rule of thumb is that when you combine multiple aftermarket parts nothing fits. That is exactly what your problem is. Between the Dougs headers, the QA K frame and the Borgeson box you've created a unique situation that only you can resolve. Dougs will tell you that their parts fit stock chassis, QA will tell you that there stuff is built on a jig and is correct, who knows what Borgeson will say since their thing is weird and awkward and sits at a funny angle. But the net result is that once you combine a bunch of aftermarket stuff together you end up with stuff not fitting.

Personally I hate to see headers with banged in tubes, and in no way would be banging them in. So if where my car I would do whatever is necessary to not smash a tube.

If your absolutely stuck on that steering box, then reworking the mounts to move the engine over would be the route I would go with. Those headers are way to nice to dent.

Tom

Personally I hate to see headers with banged in tubes, and in no way would be banging them in. So if where my car I would do whatever is necessary to not smash a tube.

If your absolutely stuck on that steering box, then reworking the mounts to move the engine over would be the route I would go with. Those headers are way to nice to dent.

Tom
Hi Tom

Thanks for the feedback. I do agree. I am going to try the Schumacher shim kit to see if I can shift the motor more to the passenger side. I am pretty committed to the Borgeson steering box, having cut the shaft and fitted their UJ.

Suspension Borgeson coupler.jpg

Steering Shaft with UJ.jpg

Like AndyF pointed out, you have many changes going on that the header company can't be responsible for. If you can do it, I would recommend putting the engine on a stand, bolt the QA on, bolt the p/s box on, bolt the headers on and work out where you may need tube denting. These kind of changes you have going on are the very reason I ordered my TTI's uncoated. In my 65, I'm using a 70 k-frame, Borgeson box, Indy low deck aluminum wedge with Schumacher conversion mounts[ hemi style block, wedge k-frame]. Even though my headers are specific to that engine, I know from experience it's a rare day when an aftermarket part truly fits. The pipes needed to be worked on a couple of the cross bolt main fasteners, engine mounts, starter[ it was the recommended one from TTI], k-frame. Had to chamfer down the head flange on the lower edge to clear the head studs. A plastic mallet like this will help to lessen any coating damage on the pipe. Especially if you hit the mallet with a dead blow hammer.
IMG_2518.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back