• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63 Plymouth stock eliminator project

Eleven K for a stock eliminator engine's pretty cheap by today's standards. The Whale was a -.5 under car but with NHRA lowering the index (and not HP for the 440 in my car), it made it less inviting and difficult; I just picked the wrong car/engine/class combination. It's too bad as the car turned out to be an attention-getter/nice-looking, but that's racing! At 75, I'm not quite ready to quit and am building my last car. Even though it's in a tough chevy-dominated class I'm hoping for -.6 under or better. Dwayne Porter seems to think I'm 'optimistic' on my HP guesstimations (and he's probably right), but hey, have fun while you can, right? Best to you and like you stated, enjoy it and just have fun!

Last edited:
Finished the Sport Fury today with the exception of a crank pulley that should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. Going to KilKare outside Xenia Ohio next weekend to race with the Buckeye S/SS group for their final points race of the season. Only have 2 passes in the car and they were 1/8 mile. Anxious to get some 1/4 mile passes on the car.
IMG_2047.JPG
IMG_2125.JPG

Found a cracked intake rocker during lash check Tuesday. But my son loaned me his 62. So I'll see you there.
Doug

Found a cracked intake rocker during lash check Tuesday. But my son loaned me his 62. So I'll see you there.
Doug

Good thing you found it during maintenance.. could always be worse :) have fun in the '62

Think you finally wore it out?
They were manufactured in 2007. I purchased them used in 2012. Have over 1050 passes on them since. I would've ordered an entire set but 6-8 weeks wait. I bought R&L intake, R&L exhaust. 1-2 weeks wait. The rest will be replaced this off season.
Doug

Finished the Sport Fury today with the exception of a crank pulley that should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. Going to KilKare outside Xenia Ohio next weekend to race with the Buckeye S/SS group for their final points race of the season. Only have 2 passes in the car and they were 1/8 mile. Anxious to get some 1/4 mile passes on the car.
Looks like my buddy Matt won the race on Saturday with his Camaro.

Overall a good weekend with the Buckeye S/SS group at KilKare. First time I've raced a different car other than my 79 Aspen with this group. Made 2 good passes with the Sport Fury but for some unknown reason I backed out of the 2nd run early. Not sure why I did but I'm almost 70 so I'll blame it on an old farts "brain fart". Paired up with for 1st round against my friend Derrick on Sunday and just as they were pulling us out to the water box my break pedal went to the floor. Limped the car back to the trailer, the culprit was the junction block on the rearend housing has a small crack. Whew! So thankful it happened before we made the run! The engine feels strong, I'm sure the car will run 12 teens as it sits but the biggest gains wil be with a good trans and converter. Should run at least 11.80's maybe quicker.
IMG_2139.JPG
IMG_2142.JPG
IMG_2148.JPG
IMG_2154.JPG
IMG_2150.JPG

It’s not really any of my business……..and it wouldn’t really matter unless you were at an nhra event……..but……how did you come up with that combo running in “I”?

From what I’m seeing in the classification guide, a 63 Fury hard top 383/330 is a natural G car.

3333 shipping weight/292hp = 11.41

The 285hp factor(that would put the car in H) is for the replacement heads.
(Yup, the aluminum heads are rated at less power)

Last edited:
It’s not really any of my business……..and it wouldn’t really matter unless you were at an nhra event……..but……how did you come up with that combo running in “I”?

From what I’m seeing in the classification guide, a 63 Fury hard top 383/330 is a natural G car.

3333 shipping weight/292hp = 11.41

The 285hp factor(that would put the car in H) is for the replacement heads.
(Yup, the aluminum heads are rated at less power)
Yes it is a natural G car. When I take it to an NHRA race it will have to be moved up to H. This was a S/SS combo race which doesn't scale the cars or fuel checks. They do require that class cars run under their indexes though. I didn't think it would run under the H/SA index which it didn't. Therefore I chose I/SA for this particular race. If everything goes as planned I'll move it to H for the Fall Classic at Indy next month.

So why does it seem that the Plymouths are usually lighter than the Dodges? I just scaled my 63 Polara HT and came up with a virtually empty weight of 3430. Your car is a hundred pounds lighter.

So why does it seem that the Plymouths are usually lighter than the Dodges? I just scaled my 63 Polara HT and came up with a virtually empty weight of 3430. Your car is a hundred pounds lighter.
Dodges have a longer wheelbase

A 64 dodge is a long bastard. 119"wb vs 116" on a plymouth. There's just a lot less car to the Plymouth.
My polara is longer than my 67 Charger!!

Off topic but Dan Fletcher has seriously been messing with my buddies. Couple of weeks ago if I remember correctly he cut a perfect light against Matt and today he took out my buddy's nephew with a dead on run and 0.011 light in Reading. Hard to beat that.

df.jpg

Local guy that I know Phil is in the finals in Alcohol Funny Car in Reading. Crossing my fingers for him.

Auto Transport Service
Back