• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 273 with 315 heads help

2wenty

Local time
2:53 PM
Reaction score
Ive exhausted all my own research and now I have to ask for someone that might know.

I have a 1966 Satellite with a 273. Its been sitting for at least 16 years since owning it. Finally pulled it out to get it running. It runs rough like there would be a dead cylinder. I pulled off the valve covers and all the rockers were tight. I dont know if the pervious person thought it had a hydraulic cam. I adjusted all the clearances and it runs a lot better now. Revs out very nicely. Now the problem Im having is, it wont idle. The revs need to be brought up off of idle for it to run or it dies.

When I removed the valve covers and I got the head casting numbers off both heads which are 315-2. Seem like they are leftovers from 65??

The reason Im asking is I know the angle on the intake for 64-65 315s are different. The previous owner put an edelbrock 340 torker intake and 4 barrel on this car. Will this not fit correctly because of the 315 heads or did mopar change the bolt and intake angle of the 315s for 1966 leftovers?

Im confused what to do. I dont know if the intake is vacuum leaking because the angle is off. Im not even sure how much the angle should be off or not either. It doesn't look there theres a massive gap going on between the intake and the head. Or maybe the intake runners are too big to let it idle. No clue.

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3714.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

The bolt angle and bolt size are both different for the 64 and 5 heads. You can't bolt a 66 and up manifold to it without modifying it. Are the bolts 1/4 or 5/16? The 1/4" are 64 and 65. Spray combustible carb spray around the intake mating surfaces. My guess is timing or carb adjustments.

The bolt angle and bolt size are both different for the 64 and 5 heads. You can't bolt a 66 and up manifold to it without modifying it. Are the bolts 1/4 or 5/16? The 1/4" are 64 and 65. Spray combustible carb spray around the intake mating surfaces. My guess is timing or carb adjustments.
Don't you mean 5/16 and 3/8?

Carb is newly rebuild. I checked timing but its hard to check timing when the idle is high. Its pretty close to 10 degrees, but hard to tell exactly. Im tempted to pull the intake to see whats going on under there. From what I can tell it doesnt look like they used a gasket. It just looks like rtv sealer.

Ill check the bolt sizes.

The intake bolts take a 9/16 socket. They all looked to be mounted flush too, noting is on an angle. I guess even though these heads say 315-2 they must be machined by mopar to fit the newer style intakes?

Id still be curious to pull the intake off and see what they did about the runners and if theres even a gasket between the manifold and the heads. Kind of a pain that the water passes through it.

IMG_3722.jpg

Pulled the intake and it has the metal gaskets. Ordered some Fel Pros. The alignment of the intake runners to the head isnt perfect but it isnt the worst. Just gonna stick it back on and deal with the loss of torque. Im going to swap the motor out eventually anyways. Should be fine till then.

Once its back together I think Im gonna have to check the springs on the edelbrock carb. I thinks is a 600 cfm which might be on the bigger side and its not pulling down the needles to idle well.

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back