• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 charger 318 to 440 swap

spcedwards214

Local time
7:52 PM
Reaction score
Is there anyway without just taking the 318 out and trying the 440 to know if the k member will need to be changed before the swap by part number or dimensions? I know alot of people out there have swapped to a 440 and that's the direction i'm headed in. This 318 i got just isn't going to cut it anymore.

If you have done a 440 swap on a 66 charger 318 please let me know what all you changed so I can look forward resolving the issues before running into them.

Also will the 440 clear the original gearbox in the car? Looks impossible. maybe not after swapping motor mounts but just wondering?

Also exhaust wise, if you've used headers are there any specific that won't give me much of a hard time without sacrificing power? or should I go with manifolds? building for upper 500's hp.

Thanks in advance for responses.

Looking at the part numbers for 66 and 67, I see no difference except for 6 cyl and 426.
There is a difference is trans mount 4 speed to 727.
Otherwise everything looks the same.
I have heard of folks that have had issuse with headers clearing the starter etc.
I assume you are swapping the trans as well.

K-member is the same, you will need the mount brackets from a big block, new transmission, new radiator, bigger torsion bars, better brakes, all accessory mounting brackets, complete kick-down linkage if you are running auto trans, I can go on & on, but there are numerous threads here and on other forums pertaining to a swap like this

I did this just a couple of years ago. The kick down linkage was the biggest headache. I used a one piece kick down linkage and had to modify it but it did work. Check out the below link for plenty of details on the small block to big block swap. If you want headers I suggest TTI, Dougs, or quality Hookers (search header discussions here). I used manifolds for the initial switch but have TTI’s with their 3” X pipe exhaust waiting to go on now. If you check out 66-67 Charger forums I have a build thread under Titanic to Go Cartish that talks about my swap. A lot of us 66-67 guys are using Champion or Engineered Cooling Products radiators with good success. Bryan has the best write up on the radiators over on 66-67 that he may switch over here if you ask him to.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?30271-So-you-want-to-swap-a-SB-for-a-BB

You'll need to lengthen some wiring too... and headers.. heh.. well, welcome to putting headers on a mopar :jerk:

no, you don't....engine wire harness is the same from small block to big block, no difference

I've had to lengthen the wiring to the distributor before on sb cars when throwing a bb in it
and the coil wires if using the stock set-up

I have never changed torsion bars either. a 440 is not that much heavier than a small bock.

I've had to lengthen the wiring to the distributor before on sb cars when throwing a bb in it

not on a 66 or 67 Charger, same harness for all engines except Hemi. The coil wires to the "+" & "-" side of coil come out halfway down the loom. That way they can be put to the front or rear of the engine.

Torsion bars are different spring rates between small and big block. Different diameters also

U joints are different and the length of the tail shaft depending on year and make of trans...

I used a 78 truck transmission. I had it rebuilt and put the small block tail shaft on it.

I did not have to alter my wiring at all. Granted it could use being cleaned up but that is on the to do list.

no change in k frames up to 72. just drop it in with the big block mounts.done this swap numerous times.but yes will need different driveshaft . I leave the small block torsion bars in some of them since most of mine drag race.

Running stock 318 torsion bars in my 440 powered car for 20 years. No problems.

Had the original 318 T-bars on my 383 car right up until one of them broke...LOL
Get bigger bars... They came from the factory with bigger bars for a reason.

Last edited:
I have a 73 Imperial with 440/727 would those big block mounts bolt right into the 66 K frame or would I need to find the mounts that originally came with a charger ? Also would the oil pan from the Imperial work or would I need to find those also from a charger?

thank You
chris

I think they both will work but someone else will be able to confirm.

You chould check out Shumackers website to see if the motor mounts are the same.

The 73 imperial uses spool mounts

No spool mounts when the engine was pulled. Possibly 75& up are spool, this one was not. Not criticizing just correcting an error.

- - - Updated - - -

It has a 699 oil pan on it which I think it c body only. I will need a 402 pan.

I have a 73 Imperial with 440/727 would those big block mounts bolt right into the 66 K frame or would I need to find the mounts that originally came with a charger ? Also would the oil pan from the Imperial work or would I need to find those also from a charger?

thank You
chris

I used pan off of 72 imperial in my 66 charger when I swapped the 440 over to it. Not sure of stamping number but I know the motor had never been out of the imperial and it went right into the charger. I did have manual steering on my 66 charger if that makes/made any difference I dont know. Mopars have always been too expensive for me when it comes to b bodies and big blocks so I didnt get to play with too many of them. I wasnt working on them in the 70s80s or 90s

When I swapped in a 440 to my 318 equipped Charger I had all the parts from another big block Charger so it was simple.

Auto Transport Service
Back