• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 GTX Tail Panel Resto...

MarPar

If it weighs, it pays
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
so the following link is the thread where this resto journey started...i posted a few questions and pics there already....

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...5524-WANTED-1968-GTX-Grill-trunk-finish-panel

i figured i'd start a new thread and get into a bit more detail.

this is the current tail panel, hence the resto!!

GTX Exterior (94).JPG

First off....

Thanks to Z for selling me this panel, and Jay (wannadrag) and Dave F (dfarmercse) for all their insight and help!!

View attachment 88678

so far i used the green 3M tape for the straight edges and for the corners i used "frog tape"; its on the same order as the 3M, but a bit more workable.

the light green is the 3M and the darker green is the frog tape. this part has been the biggest PITA so far; trying to get the right line cuz da chrome is so damn shiny, you cant tell what is what!! lol

i didnt tape the letters and scuffed around them free hand...just got be careful, it's pretty easy if you watch what you're doing. (obviously i will be taping them for primer and paint)

View attachment 88667

View attachment 88668

i have scuffed the panel with the green 3M pads (used 4 of them btw) and then tore off the first tape job and re-taped the panel cuz those pads tore the tape up pretty well and i want a nice fresh line. (it was a helluva lot easier to tape it off this time!!! lol)

DSC02557.JPGDSC02558.JPG

these are tools of the trade...lol
DSC02559.JPG

im going to sand with 80, 180 and 320 (wet) next. i may not do the 80, it may cut a bit too much, me thinks. but ill let y'all know. hopefully i wont have to tape again until i prime it, but we'll see about that!

the prep spray is what im going to use to clean the panel after sanding, and then a couple nice light coats of self-etching primer. from what Jay told me and what i have read, de-greasing is VERY important so you dont get fish eyes and the self-etching primer is also VERY important so the paint doesn't peel off of the chrome substrate.

View attachment 88677

i wanted to spray the argent paint on with an HVLP gun, but i went to a few local places and they all looked at me like i had two heads, so i broke down and ordered the spray bomb at totally auto (http://www.totallyautoinc.com/paints.html) super nice lady answered and actually knew what the hell i was talking about! lol

ill post more pics as i go along...if anybody has any questions don't hesitate to post them and either I or one of the many guru's here will answer them. that's why i love this site! best damn board on the internet!!!

-----------------------------------

Jay did find these mixtures for textured argent...

MIXING LIGHT ARGENT TEXTURED FINISH
MUSCLECAR REVIEW, JUNE 1991

Chrysler used two shades of this highly textured Argent paint-light and medium-and they were the only manufacturer that used them at all. The Light Textured Argent, part number DX 8555, is obsolete. The Medium Textured Argent, part number DNA 8933, can sometimes be found at larger, older Ditzler dealers. Last used in the mid 1970's, it is now all but obsolete. Older Ditzler dealers that have remaining stock can mix this paint for you, but it can also be mixed from currently available paints. Here's how.

LIGHT ARGENT TEXTURED

Ingredients for 1 pint (double for quart)
1/2 ounce DX 204- Radiance Silver
1/2 ounce DDL 8568- Non Smudge Aluminum/aluminum base
3 1/2 ounces DCA 468 High Performance Clear

Add 4 ounces of top grade lacquer thinner with drying time according to temperature. Mix thoroughly and pour in 1 pint touch up gun. Use 10 clean 1/4" ball bearings in paint cup to keep the paint mixed. Use three light coats over an existing finish or four to six coats over unfinished parts. This paint runs VERY easily, allow 5-10 minutes between coats.

MEDIUM ARGENT TEXTURED

The steps are exactly as above, but add black lacquer to darken. Start with six drops per pint and stir thoroughly, then spray a sample to compare to the original finish. Add a drop at a time until you achieve the correct tint.

Spray these paints at 55-60 lbs. keeping the gun 18-30 inches from the surface. Frequently agitate the mixture to maintain uniform consistency because the Radiance Silver is heavy and will settle out quickly.

Nice work man! Really great stuff.......With all that restoration skill all bottled up, looks like someone needs to get themselves a project car..lol

Great work Mar!! Ill have to agree with Will, Time for a project car!

Thanks Mar for the paint voodoo. I should probably just print this thread out now because you know I'll never find it again when I need it.

LOL thanks guys...i wish i had the room for a project car! i wouldn't know the first place to start, but i'd sure as hell give it a try!!!!

Looks great, good job, The only difference I used the paint from the mopar dealer. Kinda expense, but the color looks right. Looks like you got the color right.

Dave F

i haven't painted it yet, Dave!! lol it's still being sanded yet

You can use the "prep Spray", but don't use the self-etching primer!!!! Nothing out of a rattle can will stay down under the lacquer-based Argent! That primer is probably enamel based. I have a quart of the PPG "Duracryl acrylic Lacquer original argent from Year One I purchased about 15 years ago, but don't want to open it until I spray my pieces because once the air hits it will probably go bad soon after. Try to have some mixed up by maybe Ketone? If you can find someone who has the mixing components, they can do it. I'll try and find you some. Don't be in a hurry!

pasted from the original thread....

i was kinda wondering about this already. since im not quite ready for paint, i haven't investigated it yet. im going to call totally auto tomorrow and see what's what...

Great work there Mar. Since you dont have room, maybe you could just refinish tail panels as a side gig. LOL

LOL ya right!

- - - Updated - - -

You can use the "prep Spray", but don't use the self-etching primer!!!! Nothing out of a rattle can will stay down under the lacquer-based Argent! That primer is probably enamel based. I have a quart of the PPG "Duracryl acrylic Lacquer original argent from Year One I purchased about 15 years ago, but don't want to open it until I spray my pieces because once the air hits it will probably go bad soon after. Try to have some mixed up by maybe Ketone? If you can find someone who has the mixing components, they can do it. I'll try and find you some. Don't be in a hurry!

so i called totally auto today, and they said that their paint is enamel-based, and that it will be ok with the self-etching primer...IDK what do you guys think??

Personally I'd use an epoxy primer instead. Self etching primer is acidic and usually requires another primer over it before your base. YMMV.

im not adverse to buying a different primer mind you, but according to the label it says;

"Premium Self-Etching Primer

Etches and primes in one easy step. Can be used under all of today’s automotive finishes. Perfect for spot repairs. Creates superior adhesion on most plastics, fiberglass, bare steel, aluminum and stainless steel

MSDS Sheet for DAP 1690

Dupli-Color's got primers to fit every need including Sandable Primer, Filler Primer, Primer Sealer and Self-Etching Primer. Dupli-Color's products are fast-drying and go on smoothly to a variety of surfaces. Remember, a quality paint job starts with good surface preparation
"

so allegedly it will work. i figured the self-etching part would help to hold the paint to the chrome underneath.

either way, i don't want to f*ck this up, cuz it is pretty damn labor-intensive!

I have no doubt it will adhere well to the substrate. It's the bond of the topcoat I'd worry about. But then again, I've never used the rattle can stuff so it may well be formulated to do what they claim. Years back I primered a DANA 60 with Dupont vari-prime (self etching) and then directly topcoated it. A week later you could scratch the paint off with a fingernail.

I'm not a painter by trade, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

thanks Stuie! im def not a one-trick pony!! lol

I hear ya, Pete. im def going to do some investigating on this subject before i do all this work just to have it turn out like sh*t!! thanks for the links you sent me, ill see what they say and report back

True dat 68. dont remember if i have any chrome layin around. not much of a chrome guy.

oh wait! i could ask my chebby friend if he has any, you know them chebby guys loooove their chrome! lol

here's what ive found out...im ditching the self-etching primer and going with an epoxy primer. i was told to shoot two wet coats and let dry overnight, then spray the topcoat as per usual. i guess the self-etching primer is more for a quick job because you can topcoat it in like 15 min. allegedly it wont last very long and gets very brittle.

sooooooo....going to go ahead and hand sand with 180 grit and get me some epoxy primer. ill post pics when it's in primer

here's what ive found out...im ditching the self-etching primer and going with an epoxy primer. i was told to shoot two wet coats and let dry overnight, then spray the topcoat as per usual. i guess the self-etching primer is more for a quick job because you can topcoat it in like 15 min. allegedly it wont last very long and gets very brittle.

sooooooo....going to go ahead and hand sand with 180 grit and get me some epoxy primer. ill post pics when it's in primer

Oh sure, make us wait a little longer why don't cha. Bet it will look good when you're done.

Auto Transport Service
Back