• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 GTX Tail Panel Resto...

a random thought...

should i spray the panel hanging down, or should i paint it flat on it's back???

that is all, thank you...back to sandin'!!

If you spray it hanging down then the spray will move it around(hey that rhymes)unless you spray it lightly.less chance of running the paint.laying flat would give you a better chance of a more even coverage.IMO.Same philosophy as doing models cars/trucks.

X2 on spraying it flat,less chance for the metalics to sag.They also list a hardware kit in the Classic Industries book to mount it.Remember its not just the nuts,there is also some concave type washers and most likely some sort of rubber washer on the exterior side.Be very gentle with those studs as they will break if you just look at them wrong.

so here is the primer im going for...it's a two-part epoxy in a spray bomb

http://www.eastwood.com/review/product/list/id/3022/

anudder question...i need to blast my tail light bezels to get them ready for plating. i have a buddy who has a blast cabinet, and am wondering what media to use? walnuts?

Attachments

• DSC02567.JPG
    DSC02567.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 347
Mar, Im no expert on this but I used glass bead from HF to do my Eddy intake that worked well without hurting anything!

thanks Ron.

any other thoughts out there??

btw, looking for a chromer in chicago area if anybody has any leads.

would be willing to send them to someone out of the area if they are highly regarded:walk:...thanks guys!!

------update-----

damn, i just thought that i could have sent them to Leanna @ Phoenix along with my valve covers. CRAP.

See, if you weren't messing around with your meat on the other thread, you would have remembered that. LMAO

I don't think walnut shells are aggressive enough for your needs. Glass bead is a good choice. Garnet would work as well and leave some tooth for the primer to grab onto, but it would alter the surface slightly. Normally, this would be a benefit as argent is textured anyway, but seeing as how your not blasting the tail panel, the difference may show up in the final coat. As far as plating goes, Advanced is the only place I use for parts (other than bumpers) they to top notch work.

http://www.advancedplating.com/

X2 on spraying it flat,less chance for the metalics to sag.They also list a hardware kit in the Classic Industries book to mount it.Remember its not just the nuts,there is also some concave type washers and most likely some sort of rubber washer on the exterior side.Be very gentle with those studs as they will break if you just look at them wrong.

this is what i found @ classic. somehow it doesn't look quite right though...

http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/mn2178.html

thanks for all the suggestions on media, guys. i blasted one bezel already, and got part of the other one done. (buddies' wife said play time was over :angryfire:) going to have to go there sometime this week and finish it. he had a black oxide media that worked, but it was a PITA as it didnt take the chrome off very easily. i stuck with it, and i think they turned out pretty well, me thinks. (ill post pics in a little while once i can get out to the garage)

this is what i found @ classic. somehow it doesn't look quite right though...

http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/mn2178.html

thanks for all the suggestions on media, guys. i blasted one bezel already, and got part of the other one done. (buddies' wife said play time was over :angryfire:) going to have to go there sometime this week and finish it. he had a black oxide media that worked, but it was a PITA as it didnt take the chrome off very easily. i stuck with it, and i think they turned out pretty well, me thinks. (ill post pics in a little while once i can get out to the garage)

Yep your right that kit is for the Barracuda and RR type finish panel.The RR one i think is stamped and not cast and would have the slide in type studs.The kit you need is one that has a round concave washer.If you look at how your old one is you will notice the studs arent perpendicular or square with the trunk lid and those washers help square the nut so it tight all around and not just tight on one edge of the nut.
Someone sells them but i cant remember if the thread was here or Moparts.You should give R/T Specialties a call if he dosnt have them i am sure he knows who does.Jay

I got the right kit from somewhere. Let me polk around and see if i can come up with it.

Dave F

- - - Updated - - -

This should be the right kit.

http://www.mrmoparts.net/rear-finish-panel-hardware-kit-68-gtx-sport-satellite-28-pcs/

Dave F

Thanks Dave and Jay!!!!

im going to order that kit now before they run out of stock!! lol

here are the pics of the bezels...

Attachments

• DSC02585.JPG
    DSC02585.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC02587.JPG
    DSC02587.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 293
  • DSC02591.JPG
    DSC02591.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 323
so i got a quote on chroming the tail light bezels....

anybody want to take a guess how much???

Auto Transport Service
Back