• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 replacement

19rrclone73

Local time
4:36 PM
Reaction score
My dad owns a 73 Satellite, and I plan on helping him with replacing the transmission. I have scoured the internet searching for a step by step guide or at least a list of things that will need done for this job, but have found nothing super useful or detailed. Neither of us are very experienced with mechanic work like this, so the more help and advice we can get before just pulling stuff off, the better.

The Satellite is equipped with a 400 and I thing it has the reverse shift pattern; if that makes any difference, I wouldn't know LOL

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Mymopar has downloadable service manuals, you could rebuild the whole car with that info

The transmission-removal is procedure is outlined in detail in the Factory Service Manual. And I'm pretty sure I removed and installed my first one without any manual or advice. I'm not saying I am brilliant. I am not. But you may find the transmission is easier to remove than you think.

The major points to remove only the transmission, and not the engine along with it:

1. disconnect drive shaft at rear tail shaft u-joint. It may be easier to remove the whole driveshaft by also disconnecting the rear u-joint.
2. disconnect throttle (pressure) linkages, cooling lines, and the reverse/neutral electrical to transmission.
3. remove the starter motor and the lower (bell housing) cover behind the oil pan.
4. remove the torque convertor flange bolts through the opening behind the engine oil pan. rotate bolts into view by turning the engine manually using the crankshaft bolt with a breaker bar, or using a screwdriver on the starter gear around the torque converter.
5. remove the bolts holding the transmission bell housing to the rear of the engine.
6. remove the transmission cross member at the tail housing, and allow the tail shaft to drop up to 12 inches. note the top of the engine will tilt back and may contact engine cowl firewall. I will sometimes place a short 2x4 block of wood at this point to protect the firewall some.
7. remove the transmission.

If the car is up on jack stands, it needs to be high enough to allow the transmission (bell housing) to slide out from under the car. If the stands don't get things high enough, you may need to manually jack it higher, for a brief time, to get the transmission out and later, back under the car again.

I use a jack to lower the transmission gently to the ground. I've never used a jig to hold the tranny on the jack, but I've heard good things about them.

When installing the transmission, using a jack (without a jig) to lift it up can be tricky. But unless you have some linebacker strength, a jack may be just what you need.

Last edited:
Not bad at all. A factory service chassis manual helps a lot. Good luck!

A few things your gonna want to know...

A 400 is gonna have balance weights on the torque convertor... So the new one is gonna need them too...

The torque convertor/flex plate has one bolt hole offset slightly... It should only bolt up one way... However plenty of people have bolted it together wrong... Three bolts go in pretty easy, the forth usually gets cross threaded... So pay attention & get it right.. Mark one ear of the flex plate & one bolt location on the convertor

After unbolting the convertor attach a small wrench to one of the dust shield bolt locations to hold the convertor so it stays in the transmission as the transmission is being removed... It it comes loose two things are gonna happen.. A big oil slick, and the trans that was precariously balanced on the jack will no longer be balanced at all.... Like in the picture... That trans is a smallblock 518 so a little different but you should get the idea...

thumbnail_IMG_9444.jpg

After the trans is out use compressed air and brake clean to purge and flush the trans cooler and lines...

A few things your gonna want to know...

A 400 is gonna have balance weights on the torque convertor... So the new one is gonna need them too...

The torque convertor/flex plate has one bolt hole offset slightly... It should only bolt up one way... However plenty of people have bolted it together wrong... Three bolts go in pretty easy, the forth usually gets cross threaded... So pay attention & get it right.. Mark one ear of the flex plate & one bolt location on the convertor

After unbolting the convertor attach a small wrench to one of the dust shield bolt locations to hold the convertor so it stays in the transmission as the transmission is being removed... It it comes loose two things are gonna happen.. A big oil slick, and the trans that was precariously balanced on the jack will no longer be balanced at all.... Like in the picture... That trans is a smallblock 518 so a little different but you should get the idea...

View attachment 1722964

After the trans is out use compressed air and brake clean to purge and flush the trans cooler and lines...
Hey Wild !, Can you tell me what size TQ that is in the picture?

Auto Transport Service
Back