• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 shifting issue

Thanks for the info Miller. I am hoping all of the salt is washed off of the roads so I can take it to work and put her on the lift to get a much better look at it. I will reply with whatever it is so hopefully it can help someone else in the future. I will definatley get a service manual as well. By the way the carb is a edelbrock, with a stock manifold. Mike

Okay, Mike. If you are going to drop the trans pan anyway, to get to the shift body, where the piston (or valve, as it's also called)...of course, you'll be draining the fluid. Be sure to look for any trash in the fluid!!! Will call for a new filter, gasket, fluid, lol.

With a service book in hand, you'll see the break-down of the shift body, and which valve is the kickdown. (It's ALSO for throttle pressure. You might as well understand that.)

The shift body can be removed, or replaced, bottom line all valves need to move freely.
If the kickdown is hanging for whatever reason, needs to be fixed, or the entire shift body replaced. Fixed by completely busting the shift body down, and cleaning it. If any scoring, or the like...it's junk.

The Edelbrock carb...could need an added piece of link 'arm', to get correct swing at the throttle shaft. In the car's service manual, set-up for kickdown linkage/rod. If you have some Mickey Mouse set-up, toss it over your shoulder, and get something that works.

If it runs away on the 2-3 upshift, it's prob the high clutch. Mine was. I got another complete trans out of a 69 Polara with 50 K miles on it, and adj the bands, put in a high stall T/C and a manual valve body, now it works great! Sometimes easier to get a used trans out of a running car.

Hi everyone, I know this thread is very old but I didn't think starting another was a good idea. since the first posting i installed a tf2 kit, installed a new thermoquad and have tried to fine tune the linkage several times. I still can not get a 1-2 shift at WOT unless I let off a bit and hit it again. the 2-3 shift is pretty high but it will shift. (61-6200 rpms) I'm getting more afraid of grenading my engine at this point. Would changing the governor help with this? Thanks for any advice. Mike

Add a stiffer 1-2 shift valve spring to match your 2-3 shift. Then add a heavier inner governer weight to get the shift down to the rpm you want for both shifts, if you cannot get there with adjusting (shortening) the KD linkage.

Hi, B567, Do you know where I can find the parts? I tried calling A&A but its only a busy signal. Thank you for the reply. Mike

A few years ago Rick was selling a 2 pack of shift springs, I found the light one in the package to still be to heavy so I just ordered several springs from Lee Springs and picked something inbetween the ones I had. I know others have had good luck with Rick's kit, if he still offers it.

I would try shortening the KD linkage before you get into the governor. It seems a bit odd that it is shifting that high in second if it has the original gonernor in it. With just a TF2 kit, I wouldnt think your throttle pressure would high enough to increase the shift point that high. Before you can pick a new inner weight, you should probably remove the one you have to see what it is.

The bands will not cause the issue. You've already gone thru the valve body. Same issue stock and with the TzF2 kit. I see no mention of checking the governor or the governor rings. To complete a shift the governor pressure needs to overcome throttle pressure. Before going off on wild chase of valve body springs. Get a pressure gauge and check the governor pressure per the service manual. If its low the rings may be worn or the weights stuck. Both can be serviced in the car.
Doug

Always best to hear from an expert.

Thank you for the advise. I really should check the pressure as you mentioned. I put the kit in a couple of years ago and don’t recall the procedure I did with the pressure. It may be high as someone had already modified the valve body. I wish there was a reputable shop near to take it to but most want to rebuild it and still don’t know what the cause is. If the governor is stuck how can you tell? Thanks!!

Auto Transport Service
Back