• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 trans leaking from front area

Gregster62

Local time
11:16 AM
Reaction score
I'm going to pull the transmission out and have never worked on a Mopar, does anyone have suggestions. It's leaking from bellhousing area when running I believe it's a front seal.
Thanks Greg

1st make sure its not a leak at the tube/ case area, then if its coming out unhook the battery, Remember to put a mark on the flex plate and converter.
Check the transmission to block bolts, if they are loose really check over the case holes. If it has been run loose
and that sucker can move a bit up/down/side to side, it can ruin the new seal pretty fast. The case holes will be out of shape.
Drain the pan and remove the the dip stick tube.
Plus the normal , drive shaft , linkage , lines , speedo, cross member,
Floor jack, piece of 2x6, watch your fingers :lol: if your over 60 take all your tools and beer cooler down on the floor with you. After it's out check the converter hub also.

I'm going to pull the transmission out and have never worked on a Mopar, does anyone have suggestions. It's leaking from bellhousing area when running I believe it's a front seal.
Thanks Greg
bell housing area is more than likely front seal but can also be pump bolts, pump gasket, fluid coming out of the vent (vent is at the top of the pump face) and i think there is a pivot rod for the front server that is in the bellhousing to the bottom right of the pump... prolly the seal though

Thanks Greg
On jack stands, pull the drive shaft and seal up the extension housing to keep the mess down or drain the transmission. Disconnect shift and throttle pressure linkages and electrical connections, pull the starter and front dust cover and remove converter bolts (I use a long wrench to position converter so two bolts are accessible at once, then sharply strike the wrench to loosen the passenger side bolt and remove) by rotating the converter with the drivers side bolt-repeat until all 4 are out. Now paint mark the flex plate and converter for reassembly match (bolt pattern only allows a mating in one position). Drop the crossmember, lower the rear down and remove the top 4 bolts. at this point support the engine, remove the two cooling lines and larger bolts (engine- threaded into trans), pull back and it's out.
Mike

Check for cracked flex plate, and inspect front pump bushing for wear. Drain transmission oil before pulling driveshaft.

If you have a leak from the bellhousing are you sure it's the transmission and not the engine's rear main seal?

I've had a few cracked converters as well.
Doug

I've had a few cracked converters as well.
Doug
Doug, did the leak come and go each time you went for a drive? I can get a pretty steady drip from the inspection plate after a drive but then take a lap around the block and it may drip half as much. Or sometimes it may stop dripping completely until the next drive. Seems to depend on where everything comes to rest.

Cracks leaked all the time. The harder you got on it, the worse it leaked.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back