• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 charger front speaker location ?

Randy73

Local time
4:26 PM
Reaction score
Want to put in an after market stereo, any ideas on where to install the front speakers and keep the car stock looking?

Randy
To keep the stock look, check out the conversions from www.woodradios.com
The radio looks stock, but the sound is awesome. Chargers didnt have extra dash cut outs for stereo speakers, the AM and FM were mono, with a rear speaker option. If stereo was optioned, I believe the rear defogger was deleted
If you can find small wedge speakers, they can be mounted under the front seats. That way you dont have to cut up the door panels or the dash.
A conversion radio can be mono 1 speaker, or up to 4 speakers. I will be doing the 2 speaker stereo setup, 1 speaker each front and rear

Thanks, I know where I want to mount the stereo, looking for speaker locations.

One of the restoration shows on Speed touched on this awhile back (it was a Charger as well but 68 or 9 if I recall) Anyway, they mounted the front speakers under the dash frame facing down on either side - basically fabricated custom frames cut out of sheet aluminum or steel and used smaller (5 1/2 ?) speakers. Shouldn't be too tough - it's what I'll be doing this summer as well as mounting aftermarket stereo in glove box. Under the seats would work but not sure about interference when adjusting seats and sound quality ?

If they are mono in the dash people are now making dual coil stereo speakers. In other words, 2 speakers in one housing is what it amounts to so it fits where the old mono speakers was. I bet oyu've already seen these though.

On a car I did years ago, I scribed the circumference of the round speakers on the black kick panels. Mounted with black screws. Drilled *many* 1/16 holes in the panel, trying to be as geometrically as possible. Just an idea.

On a car I did years ago, I scribed the circumference of the round speakers on the black kick panels. Mounted with black screws. Drilled *many* 1/16 holes in the panel, trying to be as geometrically as possible. Just an idea.

Well - he'd be destroying the kick panels either way. If your dead set on kick panel placement I'd check swap meets or Egag for a set, keep the best ones for later, hack up the second string. They do re-pop them so not taboo to cut 'em, and next to the doors, this would be best placement.

Well - he'd be destroying the kick panels either way. If your dead set on kick panel placement I'd check swap meets or Egag for a set, keep the best ones for later, hack up the second string. They do re-pop them so not taboo to cut 'em, and next to the doors, this would be best placement.
He did say stock "looking", so of course if he has a "concours" car this would not be the way to go. But I'll tell you, looking at an angle was difficult to see the holes. And done nicely, they look similar to the way the rear package shelf does.

Auto Transport Service
Back