• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 limited slip to sure grip

Randy73

Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
What do I need to change,to make mine a sure grip?

73 charger

You need a sure grip unit....Summit has them for 316.00...Then you need to decide if your gonna do a gear change...What do you have in the car now for ring and pinion?I,m building up another pumkin with 4.10 gears...I have 3.55 in the car now..Pretty much all performance 4 speed cars came with 4.10s.I,m looking for a better launch!!
Petty Blue 67 gTx

Did you mean open to suregrip? Limited slip and suregrip is essentially the same.

Did you mean open to suregrip? Limited slip and suregrip is essentially the same.
Yup....limited slip unit...is called SureGrip by Chrysler. Positrac by GM and the list goes on. The limit slip in my Durango is called a Track Lock.....they are all built different but do the same thing.

whats the go with the casting numbers? 489,741 etc. I thought there is a difference in splines for the axles.
Are the crown wheel and pinion sets the same and interchangeable?
Or do you need different gear sets for a 489 as opposed to the 741?

Any of them are fine for street / strip cars... Don't let yourself be drawn into the idea that you should have one over the other because one is weak...... Cranky can give the details, but I believe two of them "742 - 489" share the same ring/pinion setup and the 741 is different.

No, they are all different...the 89 uses a tapered pinion and it won't work with the 42 or the 41....and all 8 3/4 rears use the same axle splines.

No, they are all different...the 89 uses a tapered pinion and it won't work with the 42 or the 41....and all 8 3/4 rears use the same axle splines.

See,,,, I knew you would have the exact answer!!!!... :)

Thanks for the hints, my 69 bee has a 742 with probably 4.56 gears, I want to swap out to a 3.23 or even a 3.55, so who which brand? and who is a good supplier?
and from what you are saying about the tapered 489 pinion, does the 741 and 742 pinion swap over?

Just a hint when checking part compatibilities. A very good resource to answer some of the questions you might have, are good ol parts books. Summit Racing can provide lots of information with their online store. Just type in 8.75" ring and pinion and waa laa.... your answers are in front of you. It will say something like, "Fits 741 8 3/4" carriers.
As for brands,,, I had good luck with Richmond Gears! They are cost effective and never failed me...
Good luck with you conversion....

Thanks for the hints, my 69 bee has a 742 with probably 4.56 gears, I want to swap out to a 3.23 or even a 3.55, so who which brand? and who is a good supplier?
and from what you are saying about the tapered 489 pinion, does the 741 and 742 pinion swap over?
Some years back someone posted that if you played games with different bearing sizes, you could make the 41 and 42 pinions interchange with each other but I never got a confirm on that and have never tried messing with it myself. Richmond is also a brand I've used a lot but have heard others say they've had noise issues with them but I never have had any issues. The last couple of rears I set up were Yukons made in Korea and the guy I did them for said they were quiet. He brought me all the parts including China made bearings which I hate using. You can see a definite difference between them and the Timken brand bearings.

I'm not sure where the Timkens are made these days,, but I too have had great luck with them!

I'm not sure where the Timkens are made these days,, but I too have had great luck with them!
It's been nearly a year since I've done any rear end work...been trying to back away from it since I'm now 60 and want to do some work on my own junk but anyways, I've found Timkens are made all over the world but have never seen any made in China.....

sorry, I was saying I want to try 3.55"s. Spoke to an importer today that was talking about Motive gear sets, so I will see what he comes up with.
Our dollar is at 82c us today so buy, buy, buy..

May I also ask a question here, carrier bearings race OD is that same for all cases so its possible to take a 489 cone-diff with bearings and just mount it in a 742 case without change the bearings?

All the carrier bearing cups interchange between the different cases but the cones have a different ID size but so long as you have the cups that came with the bearing cone, it'll go into the case but if you don't have the cups with them, you can buy them separately as Timkens do not come with matching parts. If the cone is in good shape, then a new cup will work just fine with the used cone. Here's what I feel is pretty good info on the 8 3/4. Not sure if this site has a tech page on the 8 3/4 but I think everyone gets along with this site too.... http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/875axle.shtml

Some years back someone posted that if you played games with different bearing sizes, you could make the 41 and 42 pinions interchange with each other but I never got a confirm on that and have never tried messing with it myself. Richmond is also a brand I've used a lot but have heard others say they've had noise issues with them but I never have had any issues. The last couple of rears I set up were Yukons made in Korea and the guy I did them for said they were quiet. He brought me all the parts including China made bearings which I hate using. You can see a definite difference between them and the Timken brand bearings.

I had a 41 and a 42 apart in recent memory and the 41 had considerably smaller bearings and it didn't seem like the 42 pinion would go in the 41 case.

Auto Transport Service
Back