• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A dumb question!

Further to the above, assuming they were like this when new (and I don't know as I wasn't around), I've often wondered why they didn't put a slightly smaller pulley on the alternator so it made charge at very low rpm? Because it would spin too fast and throw belts at high rpm?
Any ideas?
Yes. That's why Hemis got a bigger alt pulley.
With the small one, if you could pull 7 grand at 2:1, that's 14,000 rpm at the alternator.

If you check your factory service manual it has you do many of the charging system tests at 1250 RPM.

Yes. That's why Hemis got a bigger alt pulley.
With the small one, if you could pull 7 grand at 2:1, that's 14,000 rpm at the alternator.
I thought in the Hemi application, the alternator sheave was a deep groove design to retain the belt at high RPM operation (+7000 rpm)......
BOB RENTON

Thanks everybody for your knowledgeable help and yes these 50 something year old cars with new old stock parts that were good for those years because that's all they had in that era! all that being said I took the GTX to it's first car meet and she was a hit she drove real good a little steering wheel play good acceleration, The drum brakes I have to get used to and apply them 50 feet sooner and the things that need to get fixed like the dash lights have to be replaced putting meatier rear tires, replace under hood mat, in other words make it to my standards as a drivable show car.

Auto Transport Service
Back