• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

actual difference between a 70 sport satellite and a road runner

Thx, got my years confused....Regardless, to clone either "correctly" would require a rally dash install...

Bulge hood, grill style and color, tail trim, interior, lots of difference and it is easier to go the GTX route, but the whole dash issue is a dead give away. Just not the same. G

The Satellite and Sport Satellites were not performance based cars. They could have been powered by 318s or 383s. There were no Factory 426 Hemi or 440 Satellites. The Road Runner was a performance car with a 383-4 as a standard engine, the 426 Hemi was optional. The Road Runner had a different hood and cold air induction was available, not so on other models. In short, The Satellite models had more chrome and stainless steel trim, the interiors were more fancy and they had a softer suspension for a smoother ride.
I recently found a 1970 plymouth satellite that was being converted into a roadrunner RH23UOA is there more info I can read on this thanks for your time BC

RH23U0???

Either that's a VIN typo or we just found a one of one factory 440 Satellite.

...RH23UOA is there more info I can read on this...
Simply should not exist. I guess never-say-never with Mopar, but I'd guess it's a misread of a "G" or "L" engine?

Cropped image lifted from Hamtramck Historical; 383 was largest you could "specify" in a Sat or Sport Sat; shaded boxes = "not available"

70PlyEngs.jpg

Simply should not exist. I guess never-say-never with Mopar, but I'd guess it's a misread of a "G" or "L" engine?

Cropped image lifted from Hamtramck Historical; 383 was largest you could "specify" in a Sat or Sport Sat; shaded boxes = "not available"

View attachment 1702461
great information thanks its most likely a G really dark garage situation but it is a 4 spd car I will be going back for more pics 318 4 spd 1970 satellite seems like an odd ball too . I have been pursuing this car for 19 yrs finally was able to see it , was invited back

OK, you could not get a small block with floor shifted manual transmission in a B body until 1971.

All 318s with manual transmissions in 1970 B body cars were three speeds on the column.

Strike two.

RP23L would be a 383 2 barrel and RP23N would be a 383 4 barrel.
Either of those could have come with a four speed or three speed floor shift trans.
That would be a somewhat rare car, but we had a rash of those show up a few years ago.

If the fender tag is present, it will show D21 for a four speed "driveline".
Right after the "E" code for the engine, which should verify the VIN digit.

OK, you could not get a small block with floor shifted manual transmission in a B body until 1971.

All 318s with manual transmissions in 1970 B body cars were three speeds on the column.

Strike two.

Either of those could have come with a four speed or three speed floor shift trans.
That would be a somewhat rare car, but we had a rash of those show up a few years ago.

The black square next to the four speed line tells us you could not get a four speed behind a /6, 318 or a 383-2bbl.
The triangle tells us you could only get a three speed floor shift behind a 383-4bbl.

Last edited:

Strike two.

this car really has me curious as to what it was from the factory I will have to bring more lighting with me next visit .I do know it hasnt been plated since 1993. The owner previous was well on his way to a roadrunner clone as it has a 440 6 barrel air grabber hood on it and road runner horn as well as GTX badges on the side scoops

Auto Transport Service
Back