• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All that work, then it's the wrong color!

SteveSS

Local time
11:33 AM
Reaction score
So the 1981 BumbleBee Camaro is supposed to kind of be a POS to a certain extent. The black rallye stripes were coming off the back and taking the yellow paint with it. Didn't look good. I took the rear deck lid to the auto paint store to get a match, primer, hardener, etc. We got everything filled, sanded, and taped ready to go. We got the paint ready and sprayed it but the color was WAY off. Now I took the hood off for a color match. The first time it was $372. I hope they make it right.
bad.jpg
megan.jpg

How so? The new paint it quite a few shades lighter than the reddish yellows and we used a dark gray primer,, The old yellow is kind of a school bus yellow. It has a lot of orange The new yellow is a daffodil yellow

Last edited:
So the 1981 BumbleBee Camaro is supposed to kind of be a POS to a certain extent. The black rallye stripes were coming off the back and taking the yellow paint with it. Didn't look good. I took the rear deck lid to the auto paint store to get a match, primer, hardener, etc. We got everything filled, sanded, and taped ready to go. We got the paint ready and sprayed it but the color was WAY off. Now I took the hood off for a color match. The first time it was $372. I hope they make it right.View attachment 1733985View attachment 1733995
That’s so far off I can’t see way anyone would even spray it. It may be time to find another paint store and tech.

wasn't it obvious when the lid was popped off the can?

did anyone have an example to match?

why would anyone spray that on the car?

that color could have been tinted/blended to an acceptable match

How so? The new paint it quite a few shades lighter than the reddish yellows and we used a dark gray primer,, The old yellow is kind of a school bus yellow. It has a lot of orange The new yellow is a daffodil yellow

Trust me Yellow sucks, we spent 1000's to get a match! And then stripped the entire car anyhow... :BangHead:
superbirdbentdoorpta 036.jpg
superbirdbentdoorpta 037.jpg
superbirdbentdoorpta 038.jpg
superbirdbentdoorpta 039.jpg

Last edited:
wasn't it obvious when the lid was popped off the can?

did anyone have an example to match?

why would anyone spray that on the car?

that color could have been tinted/blended to an acceptable match
^^^^^ALL of this^^^^^^^

Auto Transport Service
Back