• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator bracket too short for Powermaster

Hilljack68

Local time
12:24 PM
Reaction score
I just replaced the alternator with a Powermaster round back (68 Coronet w/ small block). Because the PM pulleys are a smaller diameter, I cannot tighten the belt. I'm at the end of travel on the brackets slot. Do they make a bracket with a longer length? Or can I use the other mounting hole on the water pump bracket? Any thoughts?
20240622_104407.jpg

Shorter belt????
Ya know... sometimes I forget what a dumb *** I can be when I really try. It's times like these I wonder if my pot-smokin' days have finally caught up with me. Thank you sir.

I just replaced the alternator with a Powermaster round back (68 Coronet w/ small block). Because the PM pulleys are a smaller diameter, I cannot tighten the belt. I'm at the end of travel on the brackets slot. Do they make a bracket with a longer length? Or can I use the other mounting hole on the water pump bracket? Any thoughts?View attachment 1682872
Just measure the existing belt's CIRCUMFERENCE (or pitch diameter if you prefer) and consult Gates or Dayco application charts for a belt with 2" to 3" SHORTER CIRCUMFERENCE or pitch diameter (with same width as origional belt)......no welding or fabrication required.
Formula:
more precise calculation formula is:(1) L=π(R+r)+2a+(R-r)^2/a(2) L=π(R+r)+2a+(R-r)^2/4a

Or take the old belt to the auto parts store and tell them you want, then compare old belt to a shorter one.
BOB RENTON

I just replaced the alternator with a Powermaster round back (68 Coronet w/ small block). Because the PM pulleys are a smaller diameter, I cannot tighten the belt. I'm at the end of travel on the brackets slot. Do they make a bracket with a longer length? Or can I use the other mounting hole on the water pump bracket? Any thoughts?View attachment 1682872
Do you need a dual groove pulley alternator?

I only ask as the Vee centre is different if using a single groove pulley.....belt alignment is very important. :thumbsup:

Wait .... it's that easy ? You don't need a big long winded explanation and calculation to answer the OP question... NO WAY!
I guess if you don't understand math, then "a long winded explanation" may seem like a foreign language......its just easier to criticize......
BOB RENTON

I guess if you don't understand math, then "a long winded explanation" may seem like a foreign language......its just easier to criticize......
BOB RENTON

Understand math just fine, I even know how to properly write and define an equation ....

Good thing the answer is a shorter belt !

Do you need a dual groove pulley alternator?

I only ask as the Vee centre is different if using a single groove pulley.....belt alignment is very important. :thumbsup:
The original was a dual groove, as Nadine was born with A/C. The A/C is gone now, but I stuck with a dual groove anyway... so we should be good there.

Here's a crazy thought: are big block tensioning brackets the same length as the LA brackets??

Excellent......now, how about solving two simultaneous equations with two unnowns each or a matrix algebra problem (3 unknowns) or a simple differential equation???
BOB RENTON

Is this an advanced mathematics forum or a general public automotive forum ?

Another classic completely useless, arrogant post.

Awaiting the .... " if I'm to dumb to comprehend respone........." followed by some completely useless jibber jabber.

Don't forget... just my opinion...

Ya know... sometimes I forget what a dumb *** I can be when I really try. It's times like these I wonder if my pot-smokin' days have finally caught up with me. Thank you sir.

you just need to smoke more.......you've built up a tolerance

Auto Transport Service
Back