• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator bracket too short for Powermaster

Is this an advanced mathematics forum or a general public automotive forum ?

Another classic completely useless, arrogant post.

Awaiting the .... " if I'm to dumb to comprehend respone........." followed by some completely useless jibber jabber.

Don't forget... just my opinion...
Please just remember that Bob is trying to help out - and give sound reasoning behind his advice here. :thumbsup:

Here's a crazy thought: are big block tensioning brackets the same length as the LA brackets??
Big block brackets look longer - but the angle of the kink in the middle is different.

You could make one work with additional spacing. :thumbsup:

cant we just wrap a string around it for a ballpark mesasurement?
A string would go too deep into the groove and give a shorter than required measurement.

A string would go too deep into the groove and give a shorter than required measurement.

yeah, I was gonna suggest a piece of rope...... but I did say ballpark

set alternator at max tight position......

use string, a little loose if you wish.......

the shorter length should fall right in the middle of adjustment.......

just my opinion, of course :D

Last edited:
Less kinky…

IMG_5925.png

Please just remember that Bob is trying to help out - and give sound reasoning behind his advice here. :thumbsup:
THANK YOU FOR THE FOR THE VOTE OF CONFIDENCE.....it is appreciated. There are many ways to solve the dilemma....i've used the "formula" method for many years for its accuracy.....but maybe not the most convenient or understood........sorry for all the derogatory comments.....cheers
BOB RENTON

The Powermaster alternator has a smaller-than-stock pulley to make the alternator spin faster. The instructions may have even said that you might need a shorter belt.

The Powermaster alternator has a smaller-than-stock pulley to make the alternator spin faster. The instructions may have even said that you might need a shorter belt.
Depending on which stock we talk, because later stock alts used that same smaller pulley.

@Hilljack68 jack68 Well you get the belt????
Actually, I grabbed another small block bracket, and Frankenstiened a longer one. I grafted in a piece of the other bracket, painted it, threw it on... then took Nadine for a brisk romp through the countryside... we're back in business! Total cost - $0
20240629_165254[1].jpg

Last edited:
Actually, I grabbed another small block bracket, and Frankenstiened a longer one. I grafted in a piece of the other bracket, painted it, threw it on... then took Nadine for a brisk romp through the countryside... we're back in business! Total cost - $0View attachment 1690153
Except the alternator is mounted upside down. The adjustment bracket should be on top?? It appesrs to be on an LA engine......
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back