• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another encounter with a "youngster"

rp23g7

Local time
2:07 PM
Reaction score
Nothing mean ment by the term youngster.

Going to our monthly MoPar meeting, we stopped at a Subway shop for a sandwich.

I go in and there are two 19-20 ish guys working the counter.

"Cool car, What is it, A GTO or something?"

No, its a 69 Dodge Coronet Superbee.

"hmm, never heard of that, it is fast"?

yeah, probably, never really take it over 75-80. This seems to be one of the standard question from a young auto enthisiast.

"what engine is in it"?

It has a 440 in it.

"440? Whats that mean"? deep breath here.

440 cubic inches, ummm 7.4? liters.

"oh wow, mines only 4.2" he didnt say what he drove.

"how much power does it have"

Probably 400, a stock 440 had from 350-390, it has a 850 Holley and headers with 2 straight 3 inch pipes.

He looked like he didnt understand this.

His buddie came back and general whispering all around "400 wow" etc

"Will it smoke them good"?

Sure

"do me a favor" what that. "do a burn out when you leave" What is so exciting about this? Guess when its not your equipment it doesnt matter.

Hmm depends what traffic is like.

So we leave and traffic is backed up anyway, so i just motor off.

At least they are trying to learn about real cars.

These days I just tell them to Google it lol

Think about it, these kids DADS were probably not yet born when your car was new. We forget that these were just old cars to even their dads and that the hot used car when his dad was 16 was a Grand National.

I know my own kid (25) rather play around with a Honda Civic then mess with a car or truck with a real motor.

They think all a car needs is a bigger muffler, and a different color hood and fenders to be cool.

I'm in counselling now to try and figure out where I went wrong.

"1.8 litre huh? So what you are saying is that it is smaller than the bottle of Pepsi in my fridge?"

Last edited:
oh wait, if you slap a turbo on its gotta be fast !! damn fast and furious movie gave all the 4 banger people tunnel vision !

About 25 years ago I was in traffic at a stop light with my 1966 427 Corvette coupe with knock off wheels and factory side exhuast. A kid about 16 pulls up next to me in the family station wagon ans says "WOW that is a really cool looking car, what is it?" Now the car was about 20 years old at the time and it immediately took me back to the first time I saw a new 1963 coupe and how I thought even then that the car looked like a peice of art. It just goes to show you that styles like that are timeless and it doesn't matter if someone knows what it is or not they still recognize it as something special that stands out from all of the cookie cutter cars on the road.

I once had a person ask me what year Mustang my '73 Cuda was. I nearly popped a cork thinking he was being a jerk. I later found out he was only 15 looking like a 22 year old. Poor bastard.

Educate them. That's all you can do.

Next time tell them it's a MOPAR and watch the look on thier face!!!!
I did once but didn't want the hassle of explaining it!

Next time tell them it's a MOPAR and watch the look on thier face!!!!
I did once but didn't want the hassle of explaining it!

No kidding, sometimes if i have to explain, they wouldnt understand.

yesterday, a lady in the parking garage at work. "thats a really nice car" "how do you keep it up" UMMMMMM..............................

Hard work and time? Is this a trick question? Will there be a test? I went to the school of common sense.

I am 26 and people are always surprised to find out that unlike everyone else my age I have a 69 plymouth im restoring. fast and the furious ruined these kids,they think fart canister exhausts and cold air intakes and a turbo with some dumbass plastic body kit makes there car the hottest s@#t on the street.Which as I always say if I want a small engine I will buy a lawn mower, its cheaper ,sounds better and dont look like an electric razor,if you want a car buy a real car (mopar or no car 4 me.) and as far as common sense I think as far as the younger kids they have none. scares me one of these Rtards may be my doctor someday. And the next time u see a ricer/tuner kid with his hood popped just looked surprised and exclaim " Holy S#@t u seem to be missing 1/2 your cylinders!" they like it when u do that,I hate tuner,ricer,euro trash. Just my 2 cents. Sorry if u are a tuner d-bag this forum is for real cars so go to bed the streetlights are on.

This is the times we live in. Do not loose faith. There are a few out there no matter how small that still appreciate the old cars. I friend of mine son just bought a 68 Ford Galaxie and I feel like Obie wan kanobe training the young jedi warrior. He is 17 saved the money himself and doing the work himself. He is truely eager. How often do you see that anymore. It is a different world out there for better or worse. BTW I have a 63 Chevy Impala and you do not even want to know how many people ask me if it is a Ford or Plymouth. Then to make it worse the ones who know it is a Chevy ask me if it has a 350 in it when it clearly has 327 flags on it and the 350 was not yet made. If you going to ask and be wrong ask if it has a 409.
Bens69 good to see an under 30 out there.

I talk to all the ones that seem to be really interested but I try to shy away from the ones that act like they know everything there is to know about cars but actually can't find their own butt with both hands. When I was driving my 66 Belvedere, I got a lot of thumbs up from other drivers including many that were driving ricers with fart cans but on the other hand, I got a lot of snubs from the fart can crowd. Another note, I used to get harassed to the max (to race) whenever I was out in my 70 383 Challenger but no one ever bothered me in my 71 340 Cuda. All I can think of is either most didn't know what the Cuda was or most did....

I went through HS in the early 80's with a black 69 Charger then finishing in my white 68 RR. When I started driving the RR everyone would comment that I painted it white. Knowing where this was headed I said "it was always white". Then the look of confusion followed by "but it was black last year" :Groaner:

I think it's great that the youngsters show an interest in the older cars, especially since TODAY is National Collector Car Appreciation Day. All we can do is educate them and hope they will keep it going.

I think I'll start a campaign: An import on the road is a future sheet metal donor for a vintage American car :grin:

I bet we can send Donny flattened out Hondas and he'll put them to good use :rolling:

02-21-2010, 10:44 AM #40
yellowdartdave

I love messing with them in my 340 Dart. Last year I pulled up next to a Civic 4 door with the proverbial fart pipe and TRIPLE wing on the trunk.
The light turned green and he did the usual rev it up and sqeaked the tires.
I stayed up with him just enough so he could see my hood scoop out his right door. At the next light he yelled out that my car ran pretty good for such an old car. I mentioned that I was only running on the primary side of the carb and let that sink in. The light was about to change and the weed wacker started to rev up. About 1 second before the light changed, i brought the revs up against the converter and let the beast loose. I probably had 2 cars on him before he knew it. A couple of blocks down the road, I pulled into a Subway and he followed me in and asked ..WHAT HAPPENED??
I politely informed him that the 2 and 1/4 secondaries in my original Thermoquad are each bigger than his exhaust pipe and the .508 cam makes for a lot more airflow than his stupid little cold air intake. The final blow was when I informed him that it would run a bit better if I turned off the A/C !
I popped the hood and his eyes got real big.
I told him to remember the old saying..." V8 NOT V-TECH !

"
DSCN0827.jpg

Then I informed him that I have a stock Slant Six at home that is even faster than the 340. I pulled out my digital camera and showed him this:

P6041685.jpg

LOL I love it! I had some kid cut me off with his rice burne rwhile on my way to local cruise night
unfortunately for him he wound up behind me at the next light.
he was the recipient of a pro stock burn out!
when I finally let it go I could not see him in my rear view the smoke was so thick! :rolling:
Local PD watched the whole thing they were rolling with laughter they met up with me at the cruise sight. all was cool they knew me (I'm a retired cop)
kid showed up at cruise night while cops were by my car he walked past with a smirk on his face. should have seen the look on his face when one of the cops told him that my wiper motor had more HP than his motor. he invited him over to see what a 383 with a six pack looked like
:yes: kids today!

Good stories all, but down here a nice piece of MOPAR steel attracts the ladieeees! I had the Coro out last Saturday to pick up some parts. At the same time as I was walking back to the car, this smokin hot 21 year old blonde saw my car and walked over.....well, ok she may not have been 21 but she was smokin hot.....well, maybe that's an exaggeration, lets just settle on her being a 55 year old housewife who's best years were easily before I was born, BUT, she loved the Coronet! Pointing at all the other crap cars in the carpark she commented on how they all look the same and they have no soul or character but this, pointing at the Coro, this is special!

So, naturally she demanded that I shag her on the spot as 'she'd never been taken by a real man', or at least that's what I think she said, it could have been something about her being late for Bingo, but I declined and headed home, quietly satisfied that one more person out there is on our side and with succesive governments only making the car scene harder and harder for us, every voter we can convert counts!

Auto Transport Service
Back