• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any disadvantage to running brake booster to carb port?

66 Sat

Local time
10:25 PM
Reaction score
Is there any disadvantage to running the brake booster vacuum line to a carb port instead of the intake manifold?

I've currently got mine running to the intake and the spark plug that is in direct line to the intake runner where the booster connects always gets black and crusty in comparison to the other 7 plugs. I think I read somewhere that the brake booster can affect the mixture and cause this, but I'm unsure. I was thinking of connecting to the vacuum port at the back of the carb (Edelbrock AVS2) and see what happens.

You can see the vacuum port circled in blue on the below photo.
IMG_5542.jpg

Ma Mopar put the port in the intake for a reason. It works in millions of engines. The intake location is a better choice. Plug fouling is just a coincidence and bad luck.
Mike

What plugs are you using.

Every single Mopar I've ever owned that had plug fouling issues was corrected by switching to autolite plugs.

I would say it doesn't matter. There is such a limited volume of air moving for such a small period of time. Only changes with the brake depressed.
Doug

Shouldn’t matter unless the booster is taking on brake fluid and small amounts are being drawn into that cylinder. I know it’s not stock but I’ve always been a fan of using the gm design filter in that vacuum supply line.

I've run the booster line from the intake in some instances and from the base of the carburetor other times. I haven't found there to be any difference.

Auto Transport Service
Back