• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody use Vibrant mufflers on a big block?

Some Car Guy

Local time
4:24 PM
Reaction score
I discovered this brand on summits site. I can’t find a YouTube video of a big block mopar with these on. They make an offset in, center out one in 2.5 inch. Also thinking of using their resonators. I see on search some people on here used their resonators with success. Would like to hear the mufflers though.

I was going to buy some repops for a 69 GTX from Accurate, but the shipping is absolutely insane! Summit will have these here for free!!! It’s seriously like 160 bucks to ship the ones from Oregon, I’m already looking at 50 bucks to get just the tips!!!

This doesn't address your question directly, but does a muffler really care whether its a big or small block, or is mainly and foremost about the cubes and then the hp??

This doesn't address your question directly, but does a muffler really care whether its a big or small block, or is mainly and foremost about the cubes and then the hp??

I’d prefer if you stayed out of my threads. You contribute a lot of strife on mopar boards. It typically starts with something that seems innocuous, but is really a smug dig where you want to display some sort of “know better.”

To answer your attempt at derailing yet another thread, a v6 sounds different than a big block, etc for many reasons.

Last edited:
Hit a big block nerve did I? :lol:

I'll assume by your lack of any pertinent response, a muffler does not care if it's a big or small block.

One day when you get off your high horse, I'd prefer you explain to me and all the readers here how my question would be asked by someone who "knows better", is it normal to know better and then ask a straight up question, and while you are at it, touch on explaining the "smug dig" claim of my question:

"This doesn't address your question directly, but does a muffler really care whether its a big or small block, or is it mainly and foremost about the cubes and the hp??"

Not to be equally audacious, but I'd prefer you address my question(s) directly, then read into them some personal preconceived bias without any evidence and/or a quote to support.

I ask questions because I lean towards the reverse D-K effect, it keeps me safe.

Thanks

Last edited:
Somecar guy, I can tell you they will likely sound very much like MagnaFlow mufflers. They are made very similarly and with a 16" case size they will be sort of rumbly. They may not resonate much but hard to speculate with info you gave. A better choice if you care about sound levels would be the 17748 Dynomax Superturbo. They are the right size for B bodies and run great and sound good and have virtually no resonation IF the system is hung properly and you have tailpipes.

"Vibrant Performance StreetPower Universal Mufflers offer a perfect balance of providing unrestricted exhaust flow thanks to Vibrant's signature "True Straight Through" while effectively controlling exhaust tone and drone due to the dense, multi-layer sound suppression materials packed into each of these mufflers. All StreetPower Universal Mufflers feature PREMIUM 304 Stainless Steel construction, polished to a beautiful mirror finish."

I'll assume by your lack of any pertinent response, a muffler does not care if it's a big or small block.
Thanks

^

One day when you get off your high horse, I'd prefer you explain to me and all the readers here how my question would be asked by someone who "knows better", is it normal to know better and then ask a straight up question, and while you are at it, touch on explaining the "smug dig" claim of my question:

"This doesn't address your question directly, but does a muffler really care whether its a big or small block, or is it mainly and foremost about the cubes and the hp??"

Not to be equally audacious, but I'd prefer you address my question(s) directly, then read into them some personal preconceived bias without any evidence and/or a quote to support.

I ask questions because I lean towards the reverse D-K effect, it keeps me safe.

Thanks

Proved my point. You don’t have enough wits about you to process the reply you didn’t even deserve to be granted, and lack the character to keep your mouth shut after having a mirror placed in front of you.

I see I did the right thing in heading off your tiresome, polemical rhetoric. You are easily the most maligned poster on mopar boards that I can remember going back about 25 years.

A few years ago there was a general celebration when somebody sourced that you were out of commission, and at least wouldn’t be taking shits in threads for the time being. That alone should give you pause about how you conduct your life.

Somecar guy, I can tell you they will likely sound very much like MagnaFlow mufflers. They are made very similarly and with a 16" case size they will be sort of rumbly. They may not resonate much but hard to speculate with info you gave. A better choice if you care about sound levels would be the 17748 Dynomax Superturbo. They are the right size for B bodies and run great and sound good and have virtually no resonation IF the system is hung properly and you have tailpipes.

"Vibrant Performance StreetPower Universal Mufflers offer a perfect balance of providing unrestricted exhaust flow thanks to Vibrant's signature "True Straight Through" while effectively controlling exhaust tone and drone due to the dense, multi-layer sound suppression materials packed into each of these mufflers. All StreetPower Universal Mufflers feature PREMIUM 304 Stainless Steel construction, polished to a beautiful mirror finish."

Thanks for posting a legit response.

I’ve had the dynomax ones on at least two cars I can remember. One was a 440 e body. Don’t recall if it droned, but I was younger and cared far less about such. I also had a set of magnaflows on a 383 b body, don’t think it droned. That was a lo po engine somebody swapped into a rr drop top and it was just a smooth affair all around.

My last car was a 383 b body and it droned at about 2200. I remember it started bothering me, but I sold the car before I got around to putting resonators on it. I always thought the blocked heat riser contributed to that problem. This car doesn’t have that, but might when I go to the aluminum intake.

I’m looking to do an h pipe or x pipe, plus finish it off with factory tips. I’m open to staying with the 2.25 tailpipes. What I have needs to be twisted as they kicked it out to under the framerail. It may be easiest to just build new ones and if that’s the case, might as well do a full 2.5 deal.

^

Proved my point. You don’t have enough wits about you to process the reply you didn’t even deserve to be granted, and lack the character to keep your mouth shut after having a mirror placed in front of you.

I see I did the right thing in heading off your tiresome, polemical rhetoric. You are easily the most maligned poster on mopar boards that I can remember going back about 25 years.

A few years ago there was a general celebration when somebody sourced that you were out of commission, and at least wouldn’t be taking shits in threads for the time being. That alone should give you pause about how you conduct your life.
So, still avoiding the big block muffler question I see. And I agree on that point, yes, you have proved it very well.

Your advice falls flat, and you started it.:cursin:
BTW, my feelings/character/mirror/etc will be fine if you need to hide behind the ignore option, especially if you say it has been an issue for you for 25? years, they say ignorance is bliss? :lol:

What's funny is that the one causing strife didn't actually directly refute the claims of such by the OP.

To be constructive, different engine platforms, even if bored or stroked to similar dimensions, can have different sound characteristics.

What's funny is that the one causing strife didn't actually directly refute the claims of such by the OP.

To be constructive, different engine platforms, even if bored or stroked to similar dimensions, can have different sound characteristics.

My personal experience reflects that. I had the same exact mufflers on my GTX and ‘58 Apache. Both had 2.5” systems with a H-pipe and full length tailpipes out the back. The 440 and 454 have similar displacement but the 440 has about a point higher compression and a cam with a lot more lift and duration. The exhaust note of each is distinctly different. The OP is on the right track by trying to find sound clips with Vibrant mufflers and a comparable engine combo.

Appreciate it guys. Muffler shop I use doesn’t carry dynomax at his distribution center. He has similar ones, but is open to me walking in with whatever I want. He said the vibrant resonators are fine, but he uses Flowmaster Flow FX typically. I can decide on what to bring or use his he keeps in stock.

Should be interesting as I need a full system. The puds put 2.25 head pipes in. I’m thinking about doing the x pipe and having him out in an extra joint so I can drop the trans if needed.

If anybody else wants to chime in with experience with any of these things, feel free. I’m not letting the one toxic guy ruin the day.

Sorry we have to deal with him, he’s an example of why you can’t fix personality disorders. Those are ingrained and can’t just be treated like diseases can. Others have pointed out his narcissism in the past, but you cannot reason with people like that and they tend to just turn around and claim you have what they have.

All you can hope for is to maybe correct one specific behavior they have towards you, with the only true effective tactic being avoidance. Addressing a specific caustic thing they do is something you have to consider in a workplace where you can’t avoid the person.

Add to his differential, oppositional defiance disorder, plus reactive attachment disorder. Just a nasty mess all around.

Try to find out if it's a chambered or glasspack design. There's not much difference between brands, but the actual sound of these two designs is quite different.
Chambered = "Flowmaster" sound
Glasspacks = "Cherry Bomb" sound
The loudness of either of these is determined by the model/series/whatever.
For example, the Delta Flow 50 Flowmasters have the same "sound" as the 40 series, just not as loud. Likewise, the Dyno-max "Super Turbo" is quieter and mellower than the Ultra-Flow, but has the same "voice" if that makes any sense.

Last edited:
Vibrant is a straight through packed muffler with a perforated core. It does not appear to have the center perforated core wrapped with stainless but the entire volume is filled they said.

Vibrant is a straight through packed muffler with a perforated core. It does not appear to have the center perforated core wrapped with stainless but the entire volume is filled they said.

It appears to have the same basic construction as an Ultra Flow. If the case volume is close (LxWxH) the sound will be very similar…

Okay so sounds like the Dyno Max/Ultra Flow type. I can't imagine it could be much different so look for those sound clips on the You-Tube, that should at least give the OP an idea.

I must have missed that episode of the Mopar soap opera.

Seriously… whatever mufflers you go with, I suggest electric cutouts. Those Harley guys think they’re loud. :)

I missed the humor, but each to their own.
So we agree engine configuration, Diesel, V-4, cyl boxer, I4, V-6, I6, V8. Small block, Big block, all "have different sound characteristics" based on "bore or stroked" and also likely cam, NA/Turbo/SC/etc including headers, compression and so on. The list is long.
The OP only mentioned "big block" which you seem to note is rather meaningless in the big picture and context here, and I agree. That was the point, but I was opened minded enough to ask the OP to make his case.
I already quoted twice his "strife" response, to that request.
And I often don't 'refute" the obvious

PS. Notice all the comments here on personal muffler results, but few mention all the engine characteristics that determine those results.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back