• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else noticed a lack of feedbacks from eBay sellers recently?

kiwigtx

International Mod of Mystery
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
I've noticed an increased lack of caring to give feedback as a seller recently.
Not really a deal-breaker, but it would be nice to know that people cared enough when selling that they reciprocate with appropriate feedback.
Ebay doesn't seem to have a withdrawal option for removing feedback if a seller leaves none.

Imagine if that happened here at the F*BO sites....there would be an uproar. :rolleyes:

It seems that people are more concerned about themselves these days and couldn't giving a flying f*** about anyone else. :cursin:

Rant Off.

My last experience with selling on ebay was in 2017. I sold a 73 Dart Sport and got a good price for it. Since then, I've heard a LOT of bad stories of how more and more, sellers are getting screwed over by unscrupulous "buyers". In theory and certainly in reality, buyers have ALL the power. If you sell a car that is exactly as described, a buyer that receives it can BS their way out of it if they get buyers remorse.
Imagine that you sell the car, they have it shipped and (even though the car is exactly what was described) suddenly the buyer regrets the purchase and then makes up a story to legitimize a refund. Now the seller is obligated to take the car back and refund the shipping charges. What if the car comes back damaged by the buyer? What recourse does the seller have there? None.
I'll have a car to sell again in a few months and I'm unsure of how I'll advertise it. Ebay used to be great for accessing a wider audience and get a higher price than I'd get locally but I would be absolutely livid to have to refund money because the buyer is a cheat or an idiot.

Last edited:
My last experience with selling on ebay was in 2017. I sold a 73 Dart Sport and got a good price for it. Since then, I've heard a LOT of bad stories of how more and more, sellers are getting screwed over by unscrupulous "buyers". In theory and certainly in reality, buyers have ALL the power. If you sell a car that is exactly as described, a buyer that receives it can BS their way out of it if they get buyers remorse.
Imagine that you sell the car, they have it shipped and (even though the car is exactly what was described) suddenly the buyer regrets the purchase and then makes up a story to legitimize a refund. Now the seller is obligated to take the car back and refund the shipping charges. What is the car comes back damaged by the buyer? What recourse does the seller have there? None.
I'll have a car to sell again in a few months and I'm unsure of how I'll advertise it. Ebay used to be great for accessing a wider audience and get a higher price than I'd get locally but I would be absolutely livid to have to refund money because the buyer is a cheat or an idiot.
I subscribe to Barnfinds.
Judging from comments
on that site, most seem to
be on the up and up. They
list cars for sale from
multiple sources. Some
thru ebay, some private,
some other sources.
It's sad when we're driven
to safeguard against
someone's dishonesty.
I grew up in an era where
a man's word was his bond
and a handshake closed
the deal.

I'm still confused
as to why your
responses are written
like this instead
of going all the way across the panel like this. You are a good contributor so I'm not criticizing you, I'm just curious about that.
Cheers...

I'm still confused
as to why your
responses are written
like this instead
of going all the way across the panel like this. You are a good contributor so I'm not criticizing you, I'm just curious about that.
Cheers...
Has to do with phone
settings and a way it's
comfortable for me to
type, seeing as it's one
handed. Left hand and
arm are paralyzed. (no
feeling and useless for
holding the phone).
I do apologize as I've had
some question this format
on other sites.
I'm in no way offended and
I appreciate your patience
and understanding.
Thank you for the
compliment.

Feedback on buyers is pretty meaningless since they changed the system to only allow positive feedback.

I’d say only about 1 of 5 buyers leave feedback nowadays.

Feedback on buyers is pretty meaningless since they changed the system to only allow positive feedback.

I’d say only about 1 of 5 buyers leave feedback nowadays.
The problem with ebay is if
you report a bad experience,
the seller can back at you
the buyer with some bogus
excuse to lower your rating.
Most want their ratings
held to the high standard,
so they don't start the fight.
Especially if the buyer has
an ebay account and has
his goods listed for sale.

Last edited:
Also I think people are sick and tired of being bombarded with asking for feedback or a review from everything on the internet. Every store you buy from beg you for feedback etc. I get the company pickup serviced and the dealership wants feedback just for doing their job. Then if you complain or make a suggestion it is ignored anyway. Just the way it is, so I'm getting to be one of those people that doesn't leave feedback. It's like the fast food joint that punches your order into their computer, throws a bag of food on the counter and ask for a tip. Although a private seller on ebay that I have a good experience with I probably would.

It seems that people are more concerned about themselves these days and couldn't giving a flying f*** about anyone else. :cursin:
captain obvious giphy.gif

It's been going on for years.

However, there's a "strong arm" tactic being used by sellers of not giving feedback for prompt payment (the buyer's "performance") until the buyer leaves positive feedback.

This is wrong.

I pay in a timely manner (my "performance")
Seller gives feedback
Item arrives in a timely manner and is as described (seller's "performance")
Buyer gives feedback

Is the correct order.

It's been going on for years.

However, there's a "strong arm" tactic being used by sellers of not giving feedback for prompt payment (the buyer's "performance") until the buyer leaves positive feedback.

This is wrong.

I pay in a timely manner (my "performance")
Seller gives feedback
Item arrives in a timely manner and is as described (seller's "performance")
Buyer gives feedback

Is the correct order.
If I’m the seller, I usually wait for positive feedback from the buyer before leaving them feedback.

The reason is that if there is a problem I want to resolve it first.

That being said, I have had very few problems.

EDIT:
I have had very few problems with members.
Plenty of problems with EBay the company, and shippers.

Has to do with phone
settings and a way it's
comfortable for me to
type, seeing as it's one
handed. Left hand and
arm are paralyzed. (no
feeling and useless for
holding the phone).
I do apologize as I've had
some question this format
on other sites.
I'm in no way offended and
I appreciate your patience
and understanding.
Thank you for the
compliment.
Have you considered using the speech to text function? I find it works fairly well in most instances. Sorry to hear about your hand troubles.

I don't sell on ebay. Prefer local sales in person.
I buy stuff on ebay occasionally. I usually leave feedback.
Honest, appropriate feedback with language about what I actually bought.

Reading seller feedback and seeing stuff like "A+ seller" and nothing else, well, WGAF about that probably bot generated fluff? SO I do my part to mention what I bought. If shipping took 3 weeks but arrived perfect, 3 stars. Item description, better be perfect or you get moved down. I bought a new with tags shirt recently listed as 100% cotton and it turned out to be a blend and much lighter fabric then described. It was new though, and in pristine shape, and arrived well. I gave a neutral, explained why, kept the shirt because it is a nice shirt. But why not take 10 seconds to look at the thing you are listing? It wasn't a deal breaker, but it was far enough off it could be considered misrepresenting the item.

Everyone just wants 5 gold stars and "A+ super #1 buy/sell again emoji" which to me is complete useless nonsense. Seller could actually be a fantastic seller. How would you know looking at 1000 bot generated BS 5 star ratings? The generic aspect of it all actually detracts from the purpose. Why bother if you can't take time to actually do it?

I don't sell on ebay. Prefer local sales in person.
I buy stuff on ebay occasionally. I usually leave feedback.
Honest, appropriate feedback with language about what I actually bought.

Reading seller feedback and seeing stuff like "A+ seller" and nothing else, well, WGAF about that probably bot generated fluff? SO I do my part to mention what I bought. If shipping took 3 weeks but arrived perfect, 3 stars. Item description, better be perfect or you get moved down. I bought a new with tags shirt recently listed as 100% cotton and it turned out to be a blend and much lighter fabric then described. It was new though, and in pristine shape, and arrived well. I gave a neutral, explained why, kept the shirt because it is a nice shirt. But why not take 10 seconds to look at the thing you are listing? It wasn't a deal breaker, but it was far enough off it could be considered misrepresenting the item.

Everyone just wants 5 gold stars and "A+ super #1 buy/sell again emoji" which to me is complete useless nonsense. Seller could actually be a fantastic seller. How would you know looking at 1000 bot generated BS 5 star ratings? The generic aspect of it all actually detracts from the purpose. Why bother if you can't take time to actually do it?
It just irked me that when I buy, I pay instantly as most sellers demand that anyway, and when a week later they still haven't posted it....I'm the bad guy.

I have given honest feedbacks over the years but it seems time to stop using ebay and the like as the care and attention in packaging items has declined as well as the urgency to ship items. Being out here a few more miles away makes that waiting time seem an eternity.

Have you considered using the speech to text function? I find it works fairly well in most instances. Sorry to hear about your hand troubles.
Yeah, I agree with that feature also. It's the only way I text with anyone - my meathooks don't listen much
to my directions for fine motor skills anymore, so that tickety-tickety with the thumbs thing that texting
typically involves doesn't work so much for me.
So...my phone has that talk to text feature and I wear it out. :thumbsup:

By the way, that's about how I go with cell phones - phone calls and sporadic texting to a few close relations
are it. I don't use it for "apps" or anything else much, really.
Everything computer/website related gets done on this big ol' desktop PC - and I use the old school WHITE
keyboards that are built like tanks, with full-sized keys so I can bang away at them when typing.
You don't have to be so precise doing it this way - and I can actually SEE what's on the screen on my 25"
monitor (as opposed to that little bitty screen on my oversized Motorola phone).

It just irked me that when I buy, I pay instantly as most sellers demand that anyway, and when a week later they still haven't posted it....I'm the bad guy.

I have given honest feedbacks over the years but it seems time to stop using ebay and the like as the care and attention in packaging items has declined as well as the urgency to ship items. Being out here a few more miles away makes that waiting time seem an eternity.
The ol' feedback game on EPay has been going on since forever - sellers get shafted by buyers (with less and less
protections anymore, since eBay has gone the way of "the buyer is always right" over the years) and buyers
hold feedback hostage (or just plain neglect/don't care to) until the seller writes them something nice.

Like you, I've always been very prompt with my feedback as seller or buyer - but sadly also like you, I live in a world
where such consideration of others is waning rapidly by the day in all manner of transactions, eBay or not.
I actually believe things got exponentially worse after the kung flu to boot...

Chris Birdsong did a video about this exact same thing. Chuck it out.

Yep - and don't think for a second that some elements in our society haven't learned how to play
the feedback game. Businesses like restaurants are literally "held hostage" by anyone willing to go
on Yelp or some such website and write a scathing review - because they know a goodly portion
of their chances of success are based on their "scores" on such sites.

Scheming types out there know how to manipulate the system to their benefit and it disgusts me.

I saw that you can only leave positive feedback some time ago, and had to deal with a guy and his BS. So, seeing how I can only leave positive feedback, I will detail how this is actually negative feedback in the comments. No, he had made his feedback private/hidden, so prospective buyers can only see the positive feedback count and no comments. So utterly deceptive in my opinion!!

Auto Transport Service
Back