• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone replace garage door springs themselves?

Yes, door is 7'x 16' and weighs 325 lbs. Ordered springs, cables and rollers. Got the appropriate shafts/bars and did the replacement myself. Watched many youtube videos on my computer and gained the confidence to do the job. One of the springs broke, but I reused the original door. Saved at least $500.

Replacing garage door springs can be a bit daunting, but it's something you can tackle yourself if you're up for the challenge!

Replacing garage door springs can be a bit daunting, but it's something you can tackle yourself if you're up for the challenge!
I installed a used roll up door on my garage ,(was a shed), its not bad , but be sure to use 2 round long pry bars to tighten the spring, one to roll it with , and one to hold it ...

I replaced all 3 10X10 doors last fall on my shop. I had a buddy helping and we did one per day. Really helped with the comfort/heat bill last winter. I went from 1 1/2" polystyrene to 2" polyurethane and added windows to the top section-what a difference! I can work in the morning without lights! I do have 13 garage doors total in my buildings.
I had one spring break on my wife's parking stall this spring. I hired it done. The tech replaced both springs. He told me a story about a customer that insisted one was all he needed. So that was what he got. 3 days later the other spring broke!
Mike
IMG_2831.JPG

I actually did it last summer, and while it was a bit nerve-wracking at first, it turned out to be a rewarding experience. First things first, though, make sure you watch some tutorials and read up on the process. It's important to understand exactly what you're doing before you start. You'll also need to have the right tools on hand, like winding bars and vice grips, to make the job easier and safer. Safety is key when working with garage door repair springs, so make sure you wear gloves and eye protection.

Auto Transport Service
Back