• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone still have their High School ride?

Don't have the car anymore :BangHead: but still got the pic.

Oct71_home.jpg

Great cars and I'm happy to see most of you still have them. I sold mine a few years after high school. It was an orange rusty 68 Charger 383 auto. I loved that car but it needed new metal back then and I was broke without a lot of tools or a welder.
In 1986 I contacted Dave at Totally Auto in Bensalem PA about restoration of my first car (1969 Coronet). At that time he wrote a feature in MoPerformance magazine and was considered the poor man's Mopar resto shop. No AMD repo metal in those days.

I ended up driving my Coronet up to a show in mid Ohio that Dave was attending so he could assess my car. I'll keep the story short by saying a complete trunk floor fab, floorboard patches, rust repair around the backlight corners, lower quarter patches, paint, and a new vynil top, and a few other items was estimated at $25,000. That's in 1986 money which is about $77,000 in today's dollars. This didn't include motor and transmission work which my neighbor was going to do around $2,000 (he was a master mechanic at Jake Sweeney Chrysler in Cincinnati).

I was making around $34,000 a year in 1986.

Regretting the decision is easy today, but all things considered I let my car go to a guy who was basically parting it out.

It would be a dream come true to have it back.

1654695287207.jpg

Last edited:
My first ride. I’ve had this since I was 11 years old. Every kid in my neighborhood has grown up riding this. I call it “old blue”! Not a Mopar, true, but it’s still a cool ride!

C27A9253-3CCA-417B-AE62-4BD417EF08CD.jpeg

69227D36-6056-4526-9F48-48E5BAFA1312.png

In 1986 I contacted Dave at Totally Auto in Bensalem PA about restoration of my first car (1969 Coronet). At that time he wrote a feature in MoPerformance magazine and was considered the poor man's Mopar resto shop. No AMD repo metal in those days.

I ended up driving my Coronet up to a show in mid Ohio that Dave was attending so he could assess my car. I'll keep the story short by saying a complete trunk floor fab, floorboard patches, rust repair around the backlight corners, lower quarter patches, paint, and a new vynil top, and a few other items was estimated at $25,000. That's in 1986 money which is about $77,000 in today's dollars. This didn't include motor and transmission work which my neighbor was going to do around $2,000 (he was a master mechanic at Jake Sweeney Chrysler in Cincinnati).

I was making around $34,000 a year in 1986.

Regretting the decision is easy today, but all things considered I let my car go to a guy who was basically parting it out.

It would be a dream come true to have it back.

View attachment 1732506
Cool car. That girl in the back is admiring the car, too.

I still have my Nissan Pathfinder that I bought from Jake Sweeney in 2008.

Auto Transport Service
Back