• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Automatic transmission experts. How bad did I break it?

71mach351

Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score
I replaced my rear brake lines and while I had the back up on jackstands I threw it in gear to check the drum actuation. Before I checked to see if the wheels stopped rotating I put it in park to a ratcheting and clunk sound. Now it seems I have no gears. How bad did I break the transmission?

Its a goner.

ice tea.JPG

Does it come out of park and you can feel the detent for each position?

I replaced my rear brake lines and while I had the back up on jackstands I threw it in gear to check the drum actuation. Before I checked to see if the wheels stopped rotating I put it in park to a ratcheting and clunk sound. Now it seems I have no gears. How bad did I break the transmission?
Throwing it in park at worst would brake the park pawl or possible the park gear. Really shouldn't of hurt anything. Do the wheels lock in park? Can you turn them when it's out of park?
Doug

I did this once when screwing around in my first car. I was sideways and my leg hit the shifter enough to cram it into park. It grinded a bit but once I pulled it back into gear, no harm done.

Good news. I got home from work this morning and put the car on the ground. Gave it a little push and it only rocked, so obviously the parking pawl is intact. I started it and shifted through the gears. Looks like they’re all there.

Thanks for the responses. False alarm. I guess I was in too much of a hurry last night and didn’t do something right.

Becareful for awhile may have knocked a tooth off parking gear. Doubt it but possible, might jump a tooth.

Auto Transport Service
Back