• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

barring ware with 2 different oil

Have broken down motor with Quaker state oil in them and you are right sludge city. That is all my dad ran in his vehicles. Mobile one is a good one or like now running Rotella in my motor's. But now see that they have taken out the zinc in it. So, the oil wars continue. With like Synthetic oils. Still use a zinc additive when changing my oil in the 383.

I'm just here to see what "barring ware" is, and if I needed any. I did a Google search and the only hit brought me right back here. It must be quiet a rear thing.
Those "barrings" are the ones that fit square shafts but the confusion is are they, the barrings, dimensions in metric or US???.....I'm confused????
BOB RENTON

Have broken down motor with Quaker state oil in them and you are right sludge city. That is all my dad ran in his vehicles. Mobile one is a good one or like now running Rotella in my motor's. But now see that they have taken out the zinc in it. So, the oil wars continue. With like Synthetic oils. Still use a zinc additive when changing my oil in the 383.
Another sludge fest was Amalie....

Ran Castrol 20 50 for 25 years racing and counting. Never 1 bearing or oiling issue. They all looked like new
So did I and NEVER an issue, switched to 10 30 later but early on it was the heavy ****.. I also ran Castrol in all the work trucks I have ever had including the one I drive today all went over 250,000-270,000 ZERO engine issues. The two trucks here are the exception are my my son's diesel Ram has Rotella in it and my wife's Ford 5.0 is Mobil 1. Quaker State is the worst oil as it was in an engine in a 96 Ram I bought it sludged that motor up that when it sucked the intake gasket and started pinging it had sludged up the whole valve train to wear you could pick off chunks... Ran Castrol in that till I traded it in.

Back at the GM dealer back in the late 70's and 80's we had Pennzoil on tap. Our new 305 and 350 GMC's kept using oil. A quart/1000 with 12,000 miles on the clock. (Dozens of trucks. Like the rings never seated)
We switched to a local brand and all the consumption issues went away. It was Northland Oil. They are a supplier to John Deere. Good stuff.

Who or whomever is the "good man" you note? Hopefully not "Uncle Tony "...for if it is, I have the Brooklyn bridge I would sell you..
BOB RENTON
no it was aimed at the gentlemen on hear the stimulating reading and ideas keeps a smile on my face.

each oil is made different but may come from the same ground but the ground it self makes the base stock different . my fleet trucks are ford 5.4 up to v-10 and 6.0 diesel i use 10w/30 motorcraft synthetic oil and 15w/40 in my diesel 60% of my fleet is over 300000 miles 5% have 400000 miles of a 200 vehicles
there is an oil out there that works for each engine and can help or hurt.

with the knowledge on hear it gives us the advantage to learn with out wasting money and time

thank you gentlemen:lowdown:.

I used to run valvoline 20/50 racing in my Bee back in the 70’s-90’s. Rev’ed the Sh*t out of that 383 with TRW flat tops, ran it for about 50k on the somewhat stock rebuild, tore it down to freshen it. Bearings were fine. Had a bowed rod and a rod bolt seat starting to crack, so tear-down was timely

I always ran Castrol GTX in my GTX ..........just seemed like the proper thing to do :rolleyes:

Found my motor in another car was low on oil. Where I stopped did not have the oil I use. So, at that point oil is oil till you can change it out with the oil you normally use. Just my 2 cents. LOL.

I always ran Castrol GTX in my GTX ..........just seemed like the proper thing to do :rolleyes:
WHY..?...IMO...there oils that are far superior...in terms of additives, viscosity, film strength, especially the synthetic oils and even the blended oils. BTW...in my RS23V0A****** GTX, I ise Mobil One 10W-30 with one pint of ZDDP and have used this lubricant for 30+ years, with absolutely no detrimental effects......and the wheels have not fallen off....
BOB RENTON

WHY..?...IMO...there oils that are far superior...in terms of additives, viscosity, film strength, especially the synthetic oils and even the blended oils. BTW...in my RS23V0A****** GTX, I ise Mobil One 10W-30 with one pint of ZDDP and have used this lubricant for 30+ years, with absolutely no detrimental effects......and the wheels have not fallen off....
BOB RENTON
I'm with you there. I have used conventional Valvoline 10/30 with Rislone ZDDP for 15 years now with no issues. THere are naysayers about the additives settling out. Who's to say they don't settle out in a quart of Brad Penn or what ever.

I'm with you there. I have used conventional Valvoline 10/30 with Rislone ZDDP for 15 years now with no issues. THere are naysayers about the additives settling out. Who's to say they don't settle out in a quart of Brad Penn or what ever.
The additives used in oils are similar to that of HOMOGENIZED milk...in that the cream will not seperate. In oils, it's the POLYMERIZING of the additive package into the oil's feedstock that they will not seperate.....you don't have to shake the container b4 using......just a thought......
BOB RENTON

because it said GTX on the lable :fool: ........ seriously though, this was 35 years ago; fresh 20/50 seemed good enough to me, figured they were all the same
Fortunately.....for your sake, it was oil and not something else, like liquid horse excrement. 20W--50 oil seems heavy, unless you've got excessive bearing clearance, say in the 0.005"- 0.007" range plus pumping thd heavier weight oil takes more HP to drive the pump......but what ever suits you is just fine......but if the badging on the car said: Camero or Mustang what oil would you use??.......sort of like if Oranges were blue, would they still be called oranges???......
BOB RENTON

Fortunately.....for your sake, it was oil and not something else, like liquid horse excrement. 20W--50 oil seems heavy, unless you've got excessive bearing clearance, say in the 0.005"- 0.007" range plus pumping thd heavier weight oil takes more HP to drive the pump......but what ever suits you is just fine......but if the badging on the car said: Camero or Mustang what oil would you use??.......sort of like if Oranges were blue, would they still be called oranges???......
BOB RENTON

relax, I was 20 years old, and my car ran pretty damn good :rolleyes:

oil pressure was kinda high though :lol:

BOB RENTON
Come on, Bob....how is it that an engineer can't spell Camaro correctly?

1 laugh 5.gif

Auto Transport Service
Back