• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

barring ware with 2 different oil

Agree. Two brands I'll never use in this life again:
Castrol GTX and Quaker State.
Don't care what they've developed, I've seen too much in the past to trust them.
Strange.
I've run Castrol GTX. 20-50 for 30
years and two engine rebuilds at
150,000 miles each, in a AMC 360
that sees severe duty with low idle
and hot conditions while four
wheeling.
My engine builder even commented
on the wear of the bearings, and lack
of a ridge at the top of the cylinders.
At last rebuild, all he did was a valve
job and timing chain.
I swear by the stuff, and will keep
on using it.
Oil changes were a clockwork 2,500
miles.
I agree with pnora.

Last edited:
Yup....use pennsoil too but for a very short time.
I read an oil comparison back in the
70's that rated Pennzoil near the
bottom, and if I remember correctly
it was due to the amount of paraffin
in their oils. It breaks down quicker
and is more susceptible to water
vapor absorbstion, hence the sludge.
I've not used Pennzoil in any of my
cars.

cars.
Used it for a very short time in late 70 early 71. Had a lifter tick and pulled the valve covers to investigate and saw what was being left on them and said no way. Think it was in the middle of the 2nd oil change. Don't remember what I went to after that though.

cars.
I believe I read the same thing about Penzoil in the early 80's. Never did use the stuff.

The additives used in oils are similar to that of HOMOGENIZED milk...in that the cream will not seperate. In oils, it's the POLYMERIZING of the additive package into the oil's feedstock that they will not seperate.....you don't have to shake the container b4 using......just a thought......
BOB RENTON

*separate* Just thought I'd help you out there, Bob. No malice intended.

I love oil threads. I'm certain some of you here are old enough to remember the absolutely foul-assed smell that was given off by fresh Havoline 30wt?

FWIW, Motul 4T 7100 is the only oil I have actually felt a measurable, seat-of-the-pants performance improvement with, and that was backed up with fuel mileage increases. It is a motorcycle-specific oil, but I also run it in my Tundra and the Missus' Miata.

*separate* Just thought I'd help you out there, Bob. No malice intended.

I love oil threads. I'm certain some of you here are old enough to remember the absolutely foul-assed smell that was given off by fresh Havoline 30wt?

FWIW, Motul 4T 7100 is the only oil I have actually felt a measurable, seat-of-the-pants performance improvement with, and that was backed up with fuel mileage increases. It is a motorcycle-specific oil, but I also run it in my Tundra and the Missus' Miata.
Thank you......spell check is not the all encompassing solution....sometimes it's my typing skill......
BOB RENTON

The additives used in oils are similar to that of HOMOGENIZED milk...in that the cream will not seperate. In oils, it's the POLYMERIZING of the additive package into the oil's feedstock that they will not seperate.....you don't have to shake the container b4 using......just a thought......
BOB RENTON
What's that stuff that settles to the bottom of the bottle when it's been on the shelf for a year or so? I shake up any oil that's been sitting. :D

My opinion...

I like King bearings but they make tri-metal and aluminum...no mention of what these are.

I like Driven oil... I have seen with my own eyes how good it works in 800hp dirt racing engines. But I also saw my 351-C run a 25 lap feature with the oil pump broken and laying in the oil pan...we replaced the pump and ran two more seasons with the same parts...Amsoil racing oil.

Different engines...different oil/water temps...different rpm...

The Clevite bearing looks like it had dirt in the oil.

My go to race oil today is CenPeCo...again. Used it in everything with wheels in the 80's.

Auto Transport Service
Back