• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery Wire size

real0803

Local time
3:56 AM
Reaction score
I have a 76 Cordoba . I believe it was built with 4 gauge battery cables . I had 1 gauge for the negative terminal but it needed to be replaced . I have a ton of 4 gauge laying around and decided to put it to use . My question is it okay to use 4 gauge wire? Would it make a difference in performance if I opted for thicker cables ?

20240404_191922.jpg

Yes it would, the question is how much difference.
I would use 1 gauge, anything larger would only give decreasing minor gains in your application, IMO.
Also note the total electrical resistance is accumulative across the entire electrical path.

And a "ton" of copper today has a a lot of scrap value. :lol:

With 4 gauge you can probably double the cables in a single terminal. Use the crimp on style eye terminal with a marine type battery clamp.
Mike

If you are still using the original gear reduction starter then replace it with one from a 90's Dakota or Ram from a Magnum engine.
Then the original cabling will work fine.

Worth considering: Wire strand size is more important than the gauge to some degree. DC current travels on the exterior of the strand, so many small strands are better than fewer larger strands in the same gauge wire.

Also. If Your postive cable is only 4 gauge then there is no need to go larger than 4.

Worth considering: Wire strand size is more important than the gauge to some degree. DC current travels on the exterior of the strand, so many small strands are better than fewer larger strands in the same gauge wire.
You have it backwards, AC is a skin effect, but regardless, the degree here is hardly measurable.

It also appears many fail to understand what "Also note the total electrical resistance is accumulative across the entire electrical path." actually means, A hint, the issue is the total resistance is based on resistance per unit of length or reduction of resistance of ANY length will lower the total resistance of the entire circuit.

I recommend increasing the Positive cable size to 1/0 and replace the negative with 2 AWG - 1/0 in size. Be cautious about off the shelf cables with pre-crimped terminals. I went through 2 of those and they weren't crimped or secured very well and caused all kinds of trouble. So I had some custom 1/0 cables made and they've exceeded my expectations. Much stronger engine starts even with a heat soaked mini starter. Life changing really. I went with Battery Cables USA and got their Extreme Cable option. Fast shipping, excellent quality, very flexible even at 1/0 size. By the way OP, if your positive cable remains larger or equal in size to your negative cable, going up in diameter/wire strand count for your negative cable will not hurt performance, but loose or corroded connections can.

Extreme Battery Cable - Dual Insulated for Extra Protection

Auto Transport Service
Back