• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Cordless Impact?

Watch how they are rated. The manufacturers play with the procedures and therefore the output. There is no required "Industry Standard". For example, "nut busting torque" is where they torque a fastener to say 1000 ft. lb. And if it can break it loose then it produces that much torque. Put that same wrench on a calibrated torque meter and it may only produce 750 ft/lb.

Makita.

Once you get done comparing specs, go to a brick and mortar store and pick up examples from all the brands and see how they feel in your hands. To me, Makita stands way above the others in terms of ergonomic comfort and balance. I've tried others (Ryobi, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Black and Decker) and while some of these are powerful and rugged, they left me wanting in terms of weight balance and long hrs of continuous use. I was recommended Makita for a cordless impact drill by my HVAC tradesman friend years ago and now I'm Makita for life.

Watch how they are rated. The manufacturers play with the procedures and therefore the output. There is no required "Industry Standard". For example, "nut busting torque" is where they torque a fastener to say 1000 ft. lb. And if it can break it loose then it produces that much torque. Put that same wrench on a calibrated torque meter and it may only produce 750 ft/lb.
Seems like it would be hard to quantify accurately torque on any impact tool.
Like trying to judge the impact difference when swinging a 1lb hammer vs a 2 lb, there are so many possible factors involved.

The newest series of impact has 1100 ft/lbs. They went to a brushless motor and high RPM/impact count. The thing is amazing, and all the brands are using the same mechanism, at least for now. The housing, trigger, and likely motors are different, but the nose piece is the same on them.
I was never interested in cordless impact prior to this and used my air powered one that has like 600 ft lbs. There is no contest between my air powered tool and this new one. Plus no hose to deal with.

I did have a 550 ft lb 110V electric impact, that one had some snot to it for it's rating. I gave it to my father in law some time back and he liked it so much I let him keep it.
I just looked at the specs on mine, purchased on Amazon in May. Must be an older model, or a lesser model, 375 ft. lbs. of torque. Ryobi PCL265. Only $100 so it will have its uses.

Auto Transport Service
Back