• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Place for AVS Carb Jets, etc

Macdon221

Local time
4:07 AM
Reaction score
Hello All,

Where would one look to buy carb parts for a Carter AVS 4618S?

Looking for primary jet (0.101). Are these some type of "Tall Jet"? I seen something about that somewhere.

Secondary Jet (.095)

Low Speed Jet #65-0.031

Step up rods 16-545.

Any help or website you can suggest would be good!

Thanks

Yes they are tall primary jets because of the three step metering rods

.065 X.062 X.055 (16-545)

You could try EBay for those parts - A wanted add on this website

I ended up using EBay at one point for a parts carb for a project , then taking a chance of removing or hoping the factory jetting is still there , metering rods

Then I said screw it over time on other projects and changed over to Edelbrock parts within and the flat metering covers

Only primary jet is tall. Secondary jet is normal. Also low speed jet is a tube built into the primary venturi. Not replaceable.

Mikes Carb Shop has a lot of jets, rods, etc, although I don’t remember their having 3-step jets. I find jets and rods that I need on EBay often too. I’ve also posted a WTB ad on the forum and found 3-step jets from our members.

I think new primary jets are impossible to find. The idle jet is the small brass tube in the primary cluster. For all practical purposes the idle jet was never intended to be serviceable. To my knowledge nobody is repoping 3 step rods.

There is a shop in Missouri that claims to have the original Carter machine. He sells a set of rods to your specs for 200 bucks with a rebuild kit. He refuses to sell them any other way. I told him I’d buy a couple set for 50 a set, they sell for about 15 bucks on eBay when you find them and he flat out refused. I’m not paying 200 bucks for this stuff. I have enough to get by and just want to try some a little different for fun.

Back in the 90s when I was really budget conscious and needed new richer rods on a AFB I grabbed an extra set from the junkyard, you could still find them, and then while watching TV I would turn then down with different grits of sandpaper and my fingers. It was painful and while it sounds terribly imprecise it did take care of my issue and helped my ETs. I thought I would never do that again, but if the choice is that or paying $200 for a set I'd break out the sandpaper again.

That’s what I basically told that guy. 200 bucks is a no sale because nobody is holding a gun to my head to run an ancient carb. That’s a good piece of the cost of a sniper. You can run two step rods. You can wait on eBay to have what you want. You can buy a swap meet carb, or be most of the way to a new one. You can whittle down the lean rods. Just practically anything but forking over that much for one set.

Auto Transport Service
Back