• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big block aluminum heads

roadrunner69440

Local time
12:31 PM
Reaction score
hi guys ! Was looking for feedback on aluminum heads , basically brand vs brand . I'm not considering max wedge style heads , just std port design . I'm looking at pro comp , eddys , renegade , 440 source , that's really a tight price range and frankly , what I can afford . I know there are a lot of opinions out there but that doesn't help me ! I would like facts of you guys that run these heads , pros and cons . Here's what I'm planning , 500-550 hp , I got a eddy rpm intake coming , bottom end I can disguss later , am thinking of solid flat taller cam w/ prw roller rockers . Thanks guys , looking forward to the input and experience you all provide !

Check out the Sidewinders, very affordable, Todd @ Marsh Performance will answer any question you have , they are Eddy knockoffs but everything I researched said they were a very good head and very affordable compared to others.
If I hadn't come across a screaming deal on my RPMs, I would have already purchased a set...

Here

IMG_3727.PNG

Marsh is a machine shop and said they would put what ever springs I wanted/needed to match my cam, had the option to upgrade locks, valves ect...

I've been looking at them but I'm running a solid flat tapper cam , then I would or may have to change valve springs

Ehhh what are your open and closed recommended spring pressures? I wouldn't assume off the bat and don't be fooled most budget friendly heads are gonna come with even crappier springs than the eddys

Ehhh what are your open and closed recommended spring pressures? I wouldn't assume off the bat and don't be fooled most budget friendly heads are gonna come with even crappier springs than the eddys
From speaking with Todd last year they were either comp or eddy springs IIRC...

http://mopartsracing.com/parts/Sidewinder.html
mopartscon.gif
Call: 336-283-0800
Back To Front Page - Contact Info - Secure Ordering

colorlin.gif

Sidewinder Cylinder Heads For Big Block Mopar
Head1.jpg

Here they are. Introducing the Sidewinder Cylinder Head. Some Features include:

• Angle plugs
  • 11/32 stem
  • 2.14 intake/ 1.81 exhaust
  • 84 cc chambers
  • 210 cc intake runner volume
  • 70 cc exhaust runner volume
  • Bronze guides
  • Uses all stock type manifolds, valve covers, rockers, headers and gaskets.
We will be offering this head with any “Package” of springs, retainers, and locks that you may require. We do not have a “Standard Package” As we are a Full Service Shop, we are excited to offer this head with virtually ANY spring and retainer combination you might need. Simply provide us with your cam specs and your heads will be built to match.

We can provide any combination of hydraulic flat tappet, mechanical flat tappet, or hydraulic/mechanical roller springs, retainers, and locks. We offer 10degree titanium retainers, viton seals, and high quality valve jobs. The seats and guides are checked and clearance and sized.

These heads are TRULY READY TO RUN HEADS!! They don’t need to go back to the machine shop because they just came from one! Flow Numbers

If you are working with your own engine builder who wants to get the heads ready himself, we are happy to provide all the components you need. We offer products from: Manley, Comp Cams, SI valves, PAC springs, and others. We will provide any of the parts you may require.

We are also proud to offer PORTING SERVICES TO ENHANCE YOUR HEADS! From milling and intake matching, as well as any level of port work.

This is truly a custom package at mail order prices!!
Heads start at $895.00 with valves for a PAIR

Call for pricing on Spring packages to suit your specific application!

Head2.jpg

Head3.jpg

Head4.jpg

Back to Home Page[/paste:font]
Back to Home Page | Download Catalog |Back to top | Secure Order Form

The sidewinder deal above looks pretty good. I run a set of Source Stealths, going on 7 years now and I'd have to say they've been a great value. I changed the springs and retainers, that's all. Planning on a full CNC port job next year, but mine are currently "OTB" on a pump gas 451 and it makes over 500 hp in a very streetable combo that pushes my street car to 11.60's & hopefully faster this year.

I would not hesitate to buy another set from 440Source.

i have used them all and have them all on motors currently. Favorite so far out of box are trickflows but they are out of your budget.

For your price point I'd go with Eddie e streets.

The source heads I have too but after having them all in my hands and the price coming down on the eddies I won't buy source heads again.

IMG_2633.JPG

If you're willing to put a bit more into the budget go trick flow, best out of the box head on the market.

The 67 GTX I purchased from a former member has the 440 source heads on it.
No problem what so ever

Just my opinion here, just like most other purchases you'll make you get what you pay for. You'll see a lot of people that have no issues with the cheaper heads like the stealths etc, and you'll see people that have had issues with them it's hit or miss. When you get to the upper echelon of products INDY Trick flow etc you're more likely to have a longer lasting more durable product. Another factor is builder, people that have had issues might've had a shitty builder or machine shop and that caused failure.

if you're looking for 550 hp you're going to spend a few grand at least to get it there between machine work and parts, you don't want to spend it again because of a failure on a part that you got because at the time it was 500-1000 cheaper. My 2 cents, good luck

440 Source Mild port, same springs and retainers change locks to 10 degreese 548 lift roller hyd.
When you buy any set of heads check that all valves are seated and they are flat?
Out of box doesn't mean their right! Spend the little extra time.

dwayne porter (porter racing heads, 1-800-951-1955) is selling some alum heads for $1500. i think they're the sidewinder type castings (edelbrock clones) but have the valves, springs, etc, hand assembled with flow sheet. if i were to do it again this is what i would do.

You could get your goal out of factory heads so any of them will do the trick. My advice is to have your shop order them bare and assemble them for you, most complaints seam to be with valves not seated properly... just insurance. My machine shop charged about the same as an assembled set so it's no biggie.

Auto Transport Service
Back