• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Break-in oil

sc440

Local time
4:54 PM
Reaction score
New 440, penn 30wt break-in oil sft cam. Did cam break-in, rechecked valve lash. Changed oil filter added another quart. How long should I run this before switching to non break-in oil?

I did break-in, changed oil and filter, ran it for 500 mi, changed both again, then annually from that point using VR-1.

While in break in process remove valve covers and with a helper rotate engine and check to see if all lifters are rotating.if any are not stop and inspection t

While in break in process remove valve covers and with a helper rotate engine and check to see if all lifters are rotating.if any are not stop and inspection
I marked lifters and push rods with sharpie and checked for rotation, when I checked Valve lash after cam break-in valves was no more then .002 looser then I originally set them.

Cam is a bullet custom ground mild solid flat tappet.

Auto Transport Service
Back