• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bypass radiator transmission cooler

The tranny line toward the front of the tranny is the 'out' or hot side, the rear is the return or cool side. Find out which one goes to the top of the cooler. Also, that cooler is an inefficient pos, get a b&m plate-type supercooler - best cooler technology for the buck.

How is that cooler fan wired? Is it always on?

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, btw, you're right, those pix suck.
Fan is activated by a switch at the bottom dash. I make it a point to turn it on. I'm going to order a B&m and double check the lines. Does B&M sell a quality transmission fluid and engine oil cooler in one? Or should I just run two separate coolers?

- - - Updated - - -

here is mine..5/16" lines to trans, by-passed radiator, been on there since late 90's

100e0803-1.jpg

Thanks. What brand cooler is that? Is this the car where the fluid also flows through the Rad or no?

I don't know the brand of cooler..I got it from Car Quest back in the mid-90's when we were putting the car together...fluid does not flow through radiator, just this cooler.

Pay no attention to the electric fan in front of the radiator..this was an older pic of inside the nosecone of the Daytona before I put the aluminum radiator in...the fan and cooler are still there and functional, but I have had no need to use the fan since new radiator was installed.

Fan is activated by a switch at the bottom dash. I make it a point to turn it on. I'm going to order a B&m and double check the lines. Does B&M sell a quality transmission fluid and engine oil cooler in one? Or should I just run two separate coolers?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. What brand cooler is that? Is this the car where the fluid also flows through the Rad or no?

Not sure you need an engine oil cooler at all. Mostly those are for racing or extremely hot climates. B&m doesn't make a dual cooler as far as I know, you'll just have to buy 2 or keep the oil cooler.

I think you just have too small of a trans cooler, now that you lost the help from the radiator cooler, it just can't keep up. Keep in mind that the plate type is much more efficient for its size than that fin model you have, and the position you have it in, that electric fan isn't doing a thing, the engine fan has no problem sucking air through 2 or 3 levels.

Here's the one I have. In NJ after a couple hours of driving it takes 180* fluid and cools it to 140-150* with a stock-ish b&m converter.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70268/overview/

Here are the rest of them, you may want to call b&m.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70268/overview/

The tranny line toward the front of the tranny is the 'out' or hot side, the rear is the return or cool side. Find out which one goes to the top of the cooler. Also, that cooler is an inefficient pos, get a b&m plate-type supercooler - best cooler technology for the buck.

How is that cooler fan wired? Is it always on?

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, btw, you're right, those pix suck.

I think the rear line is on the top of the cooler. The front line is on the bottom. I don't see any check valves. Can't tell brand.

I'll find transmission cooling line and barbs and reconnect to the radiator. I'm going to route through Rad first.

You guys sure are helpful. thanks for the help.

Auto Transport Service
Back