• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I time/tune an engine by ear? Can’t seem to see any lines on the harmonic balancer when using my timing gun on both the top or underneath the car.

tonyp25

Local time
9:42 AM
Reaction score
Hey all so I’m having a heck of time trying to tune this built 360 that’s new to me. Every other vehicle I’ve timed with this timing gun had the original motor in the car and was super simple. I’d point my innova 3568 timing gun at the harmonic balancer, see the line and then adjust the degrees/distributor accordingly.

For this 360 I can’t seem to see any line from either underneath or on top of the car. Regardless of what I set the degrees to on the gun. On my other vehicles I’d be able to increase/decrease the degrees on my gun and see the line move up and down.

Anyways, just wondering if I could roughly tune it by ear. I’m just have trouble keeping it from stalling out when going into reverse or with my foot on the brake while in drive.

I know I’ve read bit about timing tape but I’m not sure this is going to help me in this situation because I can see the numbers on the harmonic balancer.

IMG_9893.jpeg

IMG_9894.jpeg

IMG_9895.jpeg

IMG_9896.jpeg

IMG_9897.jpeg

Interesting. So no groove at all on the balancer? If it has nothing, you should mark it once you know where TDC is. I would pull all the plugs out so you can rotate the crank by hand. Get ahold of, or make one, a positive stop and insert it into #1 hole. When you rotate clockwise and the crank stops, put a mark on the balancer where it lines up with 0 on the cover. Rotate counter clockwise and repeat. Halfway in between is 0. Make a mark on it, maybe cut a groove on the ring, then paint it. Also paint a line from the outer ring to the inner hub. This will allow you to keep an eye on those two in case the outer starts slipping from the inner.

I Didn't read any of this thread other than the title.

It Is easy to find TDC and mark your balancer.

Hope this helps or you can buy one...

Post in thread 'Finding TDC' Finding TDC

As far as the carburetor tuning you want the highest vacuum using a vacuum guage or the highest rpm using a tachometer. Or both.

Best to find TDC, might have a bad harmonic balancer that is slipping and needs to be replaced as it is no longer dampening vibration.

By ear when hot, advance timing to where idle speeds up then retard timing until idle slows. Turn off and see if it is hard to start, if advanced to much it will fire too early and resist turning over. When started and hot go for drive under load and see if it pings, if so retard timing.

Auto Transport Service
Back