• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carburator issue

real0803

Local time
8:48 AM
Reaction score
I ordered this Auto line carb from Rockauto and I have been having issues with it. This is my second one, I replaced the first one because it would choke when accelerating when flooring it. After all the adjusting I sent it back and received a replacement . The second replacement is a little better but not perfect. I had the carb tuned by a shop and he said one of the screws to adjust just spins . When I put my foot on the peddle I have to gas gradually it will work fine , if I just hit the gas quickly it will stall .

I live in California and my options for carbs are limited . I'm thinking about getting a Holley Sniper 2 EFI. What is you're opinion on this ? Do you think it worth it ? Or should I get another autoline replacement ?

Screenshot_20240729_092208_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20240729_092657_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
When properly built & tuned, you have the best 4bbl carb ever made.....
I would take the carb to a carb shop in your area that knows Thermoquads & get them to check it out. What was on the engine before?

When properly built & tuned, you have the best 4bbl carb ever made.....
I would take the carb to a carb shop in your area that knows Thermoquads & get them to check it out. What was on the engine before?
I had took the thermoquad out because it was leaking . I replaced it with a Autoline , the Autoline is what is causing it to stall when accelerating fast. This is my second Autoline carb . It was tuned by a mechanic and he said one of the set screws just spins.

I found that the rebuilds like the ones you are using are junk. You need to find a 75 or earlier good core, have it rebuilt by someone you trust or one of the prodessional rebuilders available. Those mass rebuilders that rebuild these, take a bunch of these apart and when put them back together just throw mismatching sections together. There are a lot of different part numbers of all 3 sections of Thermoquads. They have to have the correct matching sections screwed together or they will never be right. When I used to buy TQs at swapmeets or where ever-I would always bypass a unit that had a rebuilder sticker on it. Many of them looked very nice. I would always try to find virgin cores, you can usually tell, examine the slots in the top screws. If they look nice like they never had a incorrect screwdriver used to take them apart. I'm a big TQ fan, I have a specific good sized toolbox with all the tools I use for the TQ. Nice good quality screwdrivers and good nutdrivers. I do not use these tools for anything else.

Forget about the "brand" name stuck on it, it's a Thermoquad, and I can't offer anything else that the prior two posts have offered precisely. I would've had the original TQ rebuilt by a pro, not a generic rebuilder.

Thanks do you know if this one has a altitude compensator? I believe my original one had it . I'm not sure if this one does ?

I had never seen that little footnote on that claiming they are reassembled with the same parts. But I still wouldn't buy one.

I believe the screw on piece just in front of the choke housing is the altitude compensator; not 100% sure; that model was not used here.

This:
"When properly built & tuned, you have the best 4bbl carb ever made."

As another one said, find a TQ from -75 or earlier, rebuilt or give to someone that knows how.

Efi works good too but you are in for some serious work with cables, touch screens, apps etc etc....

This:

As another one said, find a TQ from -75 or earlier, rebuilt or give to someone that knows how.

Efi works good too but you are in for some serious work with cables, touch screens, apps etc etc....
Thanks for the info , how do
This:

Thanks for the great info , so how do I know if my TQ is from 75 or ealier ? I believe this is the original and it's my 76 that had a lean burn at one point . Here is the photo of my carb with the numbers on the top .

20240801_202409.jpg

Thanks for the info , how do

Thanks for the great info , so how do I know if my TQ is from 75 or ealier ? I believe this is the original and it's my 76 that had a lean burn at one point . Here is the photo of my carb with the numbers on the top .

The Carb number is on the base, rear, drivers side.

I believe only Carter Corporation made the Thermo Quad carburetors. They went out of business in the 1980s, very successful, very sad. I'm wouldn't say the TQ was their best carburetor, but it was "among the best."

I suspect "AutoLine" is one of many companies rebuilding these Carter TQs and reselling them.

They are not hard to rebuild, correctly, yourself. If you don't have much experience rebuilding any carburetors, there will be a learning curve doing it yourself, but it is very doable. The Factory Service Manuals show detailed instructions to rebuild.

In the absence of an expert, we may be forced to do it ourselves.

When shopping for a used (i dont think there are any new ones) thermoquad, knowing which model numbers you want is a good place to start. Then, when on ebay, the images may show or state the model number for confirmation.

They began using the TQ in 1971 (or so) but didn't really get rolling until 1973, when most of the large engines came with TQ. You may be able to find a TQ designed for your engine, albeit, in later years when emission standards were becoming a greater issue.

Auto Transport Service
Back