• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idles high.

Ok I was able to spend a little time on my carb this morning. I was wrong about those pictures with the choke partially closed. When the engine is warmed up the choke is all the way open. In the picture I'm gonna post what is the thing I have circled ? Because when the car is idling high before I tap the gas and bring it down ....if I barely touch the tab like thing that's on it the motor immediately drops down to regular idle speed. When working the throttle by hand I see that the rod assembly in front of it is an extension of the throttle lever shaft

20240903_155642~2.jpg

20240903_151108.jpg

Last edited:
See post #14. The tab you are referring to is part of the secondary throttle shaft.

That tab is to lock out secondary when close to idle speeds. It has a specified clearance measurement (close to touching at idle?). Like I said, check every factory measurement there is.

So I came home from work this morning hit the gas to set the choke it fired right up idled at about 1100. As it warmed up over about 10 minutes the rpms slowly climbed till it was about 1500 rpm. I hit the throttle and it drops to bout 850. Choke is fully open. But still does the same stays at higher idle after giving it some gas. It appears that secondary throttle shaft is part or all of my problem. I'm gonna call the help line tomorrow morning maybe there's a way to return everything to how it was out of the box and start over. Honestly I'm about ready to buy a holley and see how I like that and put this eddy on the shelf. Thanks for everyone's input I appreciate it all

Sounds like the secondary shaft is worn or otherwise hanging up. Since the secondary shaft doesn’t operate near as much as the primary shaft, wear seems unlikely. So that may leave a throttle plate slightly out of position on the shaft and catching on the bore. If slightly nudging the end of the shaft one direction or the other causes it to release and close, I would say that’s your problem. You might have to get some replacement screws and cut the screw ends off on the plate that appears to be hanging and try to reset it with new screws so it clears, tighten and then re-stake the screw ends. I’ve never had to do this, so I don’t know what the thoughts are on simply loctiting the screws.

I’ll be curious to see what others think.

Carb looks too new to really have that problem. I think there’s a mid-adjustment somewhere. My AVS Carter is 50+ and never a secondary problem.

Check to make sure you're using the correct square bore base gasket and have no interference with the secondaries.

I'll pull it off in the morning when I get home. Look again. Carb is only 3 years old with about 4k miles on it. It didn't due any of this till I started messing with it. My original problem was flooding and hard to start after engine was hot. After some internetting I realized my fuel pump was putting out almost 9 psi. So I eventually put a regulator and gauge in the line and that made things much better. We'll I couldn't leave well enough alone and I started adjusting and tweeking things lol. Timing was a little off so we fixed that a few other things and next thing you know I have this issue. I'll look again but I know the gasket is correct. I pulled it off the other day but that was to verify the primaries were closing all the way. I'll look close at the secondaries tomorrow. It does seem to be due somehow to that secondary shaft like I said when it's high idling if I apply just a little pressure on that circled part in the photo I actually feel a little click and rpm drops or if I push a little on the shaft the other way rpm will go back up. In the photo if I rotate it towards the choke rpm drops rotate it towards firewall it goes up. And it's just a tiny bit that it'll move either way. I'll update when I pull the carb and look. As always thanks for the input

So I pulled the carb off this morning and nothing seems amiss. Photos to follow. I turned the idle screw down a bit ccw... so car was idling at a little above 700 and this dropped the high idle down as well to about 11 or so. Same thing if I tapped the gas it would drop to the 700s. work the throttle up a bit and the engine comes down to that high idle speed 11. Tap gas it drops. Lol. I'm just tired of messing with it and am about ready to just try a holley.

20240905_084313.jpg

20240905_084844.jpg

20240905_084316.jpg

20240905_084327.jpg

Turning down the idle speed screw should have nothing to do with high idle. Please, go thru all the settings again. Choke, choke pull off, acc pump setting,etc. You didn’t loosen the throttle plates did you?

No. All I did was a/f mixture screws and the low and high idle. I was hoping to find out where the low and high idle screws are set coming from the manufacturer and go from there. Start like it was coming out of the box. Because it ran pretty good out of the box except for the flooding and that turned out to mainly be because of too high of fuel pressure. Although the bowl height was a little off. But I cannot find that information anywhere. I'm still driving the car so it's not like it's sidelined me. It's an annoyance more than anything

Still have installation guide? You can go to Edelbrock.com , punch in 1411 and go to tech manual pdf. Every setting needed should be there.

Still have installation guide? You can go to Edelbrock.com , punch in 1411 and go to tech manual pdf. Every setting needed should be there.
I'll do that now. Didn't even think of that. Lol. I'm googling everything else cept that.

Post #29, the top pic. I can see that the ported vac adv port is exposed in the pass side throttle bore. Is the pri t/shaft seated against the idle stop screw? If so, that is the problem. And the usual reason for this is a big-ger cam has been fitted & the idle ign timing & carb have not been dialled in properly. There is NO Holley that is going to fix that....

Post #29, the top pic. I can see that the ported vac adv port is exposed in the pass side throttle bore. Is the pri t/shaft seated against the idle stop screw? If so, that is the problem. And the usual reason for this is a big-ger cam has been fitted & the idle ign timing & carb have not been dialled in properly. There is NO Holley that is going to fix that....
Are you talking about the slot that's slightly visible ? In the red circles ?the other photo I screenshot from an article I read on setting idle. The cam in my motor is just a bit more than oem and we just set the timing again last week

20240905_084305~2.jpg

Screenshot_20240906_021706_Chrome.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back