• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing Fuel Tank From Road Runner to Charger Style

SimoHoss

Local time
9:22 AM
Reaction score
Gents,

I do NOT like the location of the fuel tank filler that is behind the license plate. I am TOO TALL and old to bend my *** over and fill every time. Has anyone changed the filler to another location. I was thinking of using the Charger style at the top of the fender. Can anyone give me input on other locations to fill the tank.

Thanks

Move to New Jersey where THEY have to pump it for you.

01 A1.jpg

Kidding, of course.

This change of yours is of course possible but at great expense. The trunk floor will have to be modified. I don't know if the top of the quarter panel is wide enough to patch in a Charger section with the gas cap.

8100 G.jpg

Gas cap.jpg

I did it on my '68 Coronet, I checked measurements on my '70 Roadrunner and the process would be the same. Pics on post #31 & #32 of this thread:

Relocating 68 GTX Fuel Cap

To each his own. Personally I think the Charger is the only car that suits the flip-top filler. I once considered that mod and even had all the parts - then thought better of it. If filling it bothered me that much I'd go the fuel cell route. Then it clears up some space to put mufflers !!

To each his own. Personally I think the Charger is the only car that suits the flip-top filler. I once considered that mod and even had all the parts - then thought better of it. If filling it bothered me that much I'd go the fuel cell route. Then it clears up some space to put mufflers !!
E bodies and A body Cudas had them too

OkDart. I see what you did. Doesnt seem to hard. Only this is getting laid out from the tank through the truck.
Thanks.

OkDart. I see what you did. Doesnt seem to hard. Only this is getting laid out from the tank through the truck.
Thanks.
Depends on your skill level & the outcome that you would find acceptable...

Depends on your skill level & the outcome that you would find acceptable...
Yeah, I don't think I'd do this to a nice car. My Coronet had collision repair in the 70's and will never be a candidate for a complete restoration.

Gents,

I do NOT like the location of the fuel tank filler that is behind the license plate. I am TOO TALL and old to bend my *** over and fill every time. Has anyone changed the filler to another location. I was thinking of using the Charger style at the top of the fender. Can anyone give me input on other locations to fill the tank.

Thanks
I've NEVER liked the gas fill being behind the license plate but it wasn't bad on my 71 Cuda. It was high even to not have to stoop and it didn't spill out gas like some of them did when the filler was bumper level. And I like the cap location on the 68 Cuda in post 10. The top of the fender location never really did appeal to me all that much...

Auto Transport Service
Back