• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charger vs. Satellite my theory... don't get mad!

and I love discussions like this, I learn something new every day! But one thing that hasn't changed....

The Satellite is a far superior car than the Charger...

1000s of people will disagree with you on this including me and CHRYSLER. As stated before, the Charger was in an entirely different class for the luxury sport class and the Sport Sat was NOT in that class as intended by Chrysler until 71 and up.

You seem to be somewhat selective in answering my posts.

They did not have a replacement name for the Sport Fury with the Sport Sat. it was an ADDED model for a new model with the Sport Sat. Everything changed in 65 with a seperation of B and C bodies.

As stated before they did not drop the Bel. name until 1971 when things changed again with new model names and changes in how some of the models changed to better address the competition.

Yes I was WRONG in that there WAS a Bel and Sat. in 64 when there was no seperation between the sizes of the cars between the 65 Bs and Cs.

There was no Satellite in '64. Ther was a Belvedere, Belvedere II and a Sport Fury. All B-bodies, no C-body until '65. In '65 we had a Belvedere, Belvedere II and the Satellite (no Sport Satellite yet, the Sat was the sport model). Once again, all B-bodies. Also in '65 were the new-to-Plymouth C-bodies - The Fury, Fury II, Fury III (I think, maybe not yet) and Sport Fury.

I'm a little fuzzy on the later model cars so you may be right about the Belv name being dropped in '71 (I honestly didn't think it hung on that long) but I've been studying the early cars ('62-'65) for quite some time now, about 26 years. I don't know everything but I do know a little bit.

There was no Satellite in '64. Ther was a Belvedere, Belvedere II and a Sport Fury. All B-bodies, no C-body until '65. In '65 we had a Belvedere, Belvedere II and the Satellite (no Sport Satellite yet, the Sat was the sport model). Once again, all B-bodies. Also in '65 were the new-to-Plymouth C-bodies - The Fury, Fury II, Fury III (I think, maybe not yet) and Sport Fury.

I'm a little fuzzy on the later model cars so you may be right about the Belv name being dropped in '71 (I honestly didn't think it hung on that long) but I've been studying the early cars ('62-'65) for quite some time now, about 26 years. I don't know everything but I do know a little bit.

My knowledge is basiclly 1966 through 1974 and more so 1966-1971 so I defer to you on the earlier models. Yes, the Bel. hung on through 70 as evidenced by Galen Govier's white books and other credible sources.

My basic interest in this thread has been trying to explain the true category of the Sport Sat. as I know of it and the comparison with the Charger (66-70) that another poster seems to have an unrealistic idea of what these cars were meant to be by Chrysler. I sold Dodges from 68-74 and DO KNOW what Chrysler meant them to be seen as.

I like the 65 back cars but have not had a lot of interest in them as my knowledge of them is limited. Likewise my interest and knowledge of the 72-up cars is limited primarily because they are far less performance cars than the earlier ones and I have little interest in those types of cars.

72-up were geared to more of a family and luxury type of cars because the hi performance thing was mostly over. It seem the other poster in this thread has more interest in these cars and seems to think that what they are has some kind of direct relationship to the older hipo cars. This thought is far from reality as Chrysler and other makes were now concentrating on an entirely different segment of the buying public. They hung on longer than the other manufactures but to no avail as the hipo market was all but dead as evidenced by the sales statistics from 71-up for those type cars.

Well, what you're saying makes sense. The Satellite was never meant to compete with the Charger. In fact, Plymouth never really did have a direct competitor to the Charger while Dodge, from '64-'69 never had a pony car (gussied up Darts don't count) to compete with the Plymouth Barracuda.

As far as Belvedere/Satellite/Sport Satellite are concerned, they're just trim levels in much the same way we buy 'packages' nowadays. My wife and I both have '08 Town & Country's. Mine is a base model LX with a couple of options, primarily a work vehicle, owned. Hers is a Limited Edition (leased) with just about every concievable option. Night and day difference. Hers is MUCH nicer than mine. It all boils down to what your wants/needs are and more importantly, how much money do you want to spend?

Back then, unless you bought a Road Runner (383 Hp base engine) or GTX (440 Hp base engine) none of the cars were 'performance' cars yet you could order a stripped down, base level, post car Belvedere I with a Hemi and 4 speed which is what most of the people who were truly interested in the performance aspect bought. After all, who needs all that extra stuff like buckets and consoles weighing you down at the track?

I was definately talking about 71 to 74 Satellite to base Charger value.

Pretty much the only direct two door Satelite to base charger direct match I think.

Auto Transport Service
Back