• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Choke wiring question.

Yeap, the 12 volts on the wiper harness when wipers are off is for the parking function and makes it spin in opposite direction for parking. Then internally the power is cut, while the wire remains hot while key is in RUN or ACC ( wipers are feeded throught the ACC leg of the ign switch/fuse box ). When turning on the wipers, that wire power is cut and power comes from another wire.

Could the electric choke be wired to the starter relay? Total new comer here to wiring. If not, I can try running it to the fuse bock or the other places mentioned, but it seems from what I gathered it is best to be wired to an ignition source so the choke is not on all the time (if I remember correctly). Mine was wired up from my Holley carburetor to the hot side of the coil, and that's where it is temporarily on my new (got it a month ago) Edelbrock AVS2, but I want to clean up my wiring and do things the correct way without taking shortcuts. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Last edited:
Could the electric choke be wired to the starter relay? Total new comer here to wiring. If not, I can try running it to the fuse bock or the other places mentioned, but it seems from what I gathered it is best to be wired to an ignition source so the choke is not on all the time (if I remember correctly). Mine was wired up from my Holley carburetor to the hot side of the coil, and that's where it is temporarily on my new (got it a month ago) Edelbrock AVS2, but I want to clean up my wiring and do things the correct way without taking shortcuts. Thanks for any help you can offer!
No. Keyed 12 volt source.

This has gotten so confusing to me. So as long as we stay on the blue wire, alt, ballast, voltage regulator, with a 2 Amp fuse, we're good.

This has gotten so confusing to me. So as long as we stay on the blue wire, alt, ballast, voltage regulator, with a 2 Amp fuse, we're good.
IF you're confused about the subject, perhaps the best solution is to take the car to a professional, who understands automotive wiring and explain to that person what you want to accomplish, ratherthan the "hunt and peck" method.....you'd be better off and a system that works as intended.....
BOB RENTON

IF you're confused about the subject, perhaps the best solution is to take the car to a professional, who understands automotive wiring and explain to that person what you want to accomplish, ratherthan the "hunt and peck" method.....you'd be better off and a system that works as intended.....
BOB RENTON
I appreciate the advice (as it is sound advice), but I'm trying to save money and (most importantly) trying to learn how to do these things right so I don't have to rely on others (or pay them when I don't have it) so my old car don't sit any more. Once I have the money I'll get my car restored, but until then I'm working hard at learning all the things I need to learn to work on my own car.

I appreciate the advice (as it is sound advice), but I'm trying to save money and (most importantly) trying to learn how to do these things right so I don't have to rely on others (or pay them when I don't have it) so my old car don't sit any more. Once I have the money I'll get my car restored, but until then I'm working hard at learning all the things I need to learn to work on my own car.
If you're willing yo LEARN about your vehicle, you must get a copy of yhe Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your particular year and model. They're available on line at no charge and will show all he car's systems including all the wiring diagrams. The manual is several thousand pages......down load a copy and print what ever you're working on....engine, brakes, carburetor, A/c, etc. I cannot remember the website to find the manual on.....others will know .....just look up your car and year out
BOB RENTON
Try this link..
Service Manuals – MyMopar

Last edited:
If you're willing yo LEARN about your vehicle, you must get a copy of yhe Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your particular year and model. They're available on line at no charge and will show all he car's systems including all the wiring diagrams. The manual is several thousand pages......down load a copy and print what ever you're working on....engine, brakes, carburetor, A/c, etc. I cannot remember the website to find the manual on.....others will know .....just look up your car and year out
BOB RENTON
Try this link..
Service Manuals – MyMopar
Yep! I have one in print but we let a mechanic borrow it years ago (late 1990’s) to do work on our Charger and it’s now falling apart. I’ll eventually get a new one, but in the meantime I’ll use the free versions online. I appreciate the heads up though!

Auto Transport Service
Back