• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Msd blaster coil hot to the touch. No Sparks

Also, please let us know or show a photo of where exactly the coil ground cable is connected on the other end. If it's to the head, sometimes this can be a poor ground and cause coil overheating.

With my blaster 2 I use a 1-ohm ballast resistor, but I have a Firecore electronic distributor.
If it was a poor ground connection... wouldn't the ground wire be hot as well?
The ground wire is room temp on my connection

If I zoom in on your coil photo, to me it looks like you have your + and - sides hooked up backwards. It looks like the large black ground wire is hooked up to coil +

Also, don't leave the key on for too long without the engine running.
I Reused the factory coated coil wire as + lead after combining the brown/ Blue wires

I would of wired things differently in regards to eliminating the ballast resistor and full 12 V

Quick test

Run a jumper wire from positive side ignition coil to positive side battery and see if it starts quick when cranking over - Leave other wires hooked up to ignition coil

Let us know either way - Don’t forget to take jumper wire off when done
Ok.. I will try that tomorrow afternoon for sure. I'm trying not to burn dinner right now.

If the engine does start.... that mean the coil just went bad and everything is fine?

IMO......just replace the coil as it's the easiest to change (by substantiation)....rather than fussing with all these tests suggested......you'll know conclusively wjich component is defective......
BOB RENTON .

IMO......just replace the coil as it's the easiest to change (by substantiation)....rather than fussing with all these tests suggested......you'll know conclusively wjich component is defective......
BOB RENTON .
Bob, I can agree with that 100% BUT

1. Mine was brand new right out of the box!

2. They are $80-90 without shipping.

3. I was hoping to get an answer on trouble shooting the problem for future issues and also for someone else who has this problem can search and find this thread.

Bob, I can agree with that 100% BUT

1. Mine was brand new right out of the box!

2. They are $80-90 without shipping.

3. I was hoping to get an answer on trouble shooting the problem for future issues and also for someone else who has this problem can search and find this thread.
To test, use any coil.....Mopar ORIGIONAL factory coil is fine for a test The spark voltage will be slightly lower.....the distributor module just switches the coil ON/OFF (when the spark occurs) and will test the supposition....if it starts you'll know how to proceed........the Mopar coil needs a ballast resistor but for a short term test it will be ok........IMO....
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
Yes

But that RTR Distributor requires 100%
12-14 Volts to fire off that module

Hence the quick test or tests

And every mechanic should own a Volt Meter

Correct Bob or is that to much of a fuss

Yes

But that RTR Distributor requires 100%
12-14 Volts to fire off that module

Hence the quick test or tests

And every mechanic should own a Volt Meter

Correct Bob or is that to much of a fuss
Bee1971,

I will be getting a Multi Meter after dinner tonight.
When I perform your jumper wire test from the positive side of coil to positive side of battery, if the engine starts, will that prove my coil is toast?
Also, is there a test using the multi meter strictly on the coil with no wires hooked up to see if the coil is still good?

It doesn't figure. I just had the problem with no spark on my runner. Did not do anything but pull heads on the car to paint the shock towers over again and had a cracked head. Put it all back together and no fire. Even bought a new coil. Did not do anything to the wiring or distributor. I was stumped. Low voltage at the coil. Ballast resistor was getting hot. So took a few days and got it running. Tie raped my wires back at the bulkhead connector and to make it neat. No fire. This drove me crazy. So took a day off from it but still thinking what I did. It was running now it don't. As you all know I had a top rad hose blow off and fluid went everywhere. Had cleaned the bulkhead connector with contact cleaner. So revisited the connector and saw that it still looked dirty. Cleaned everything again and notice upon plugging the connector back on to the main plug the brown wire moves out. Pulled it back apart and the brown wire spade was loose in the connector. Had to bend the tab on it and push back into the block. Put the two plugs back together and used a small screwdriver with a flat blade and move the spades in further. Got fire. So just saying the simplest thing can get us. Sometimes we just have to walk away and go back at it later. Start afresh. Wish you luck with it and hope you get it figured out. :BangHead:

Yes do an Ohms push on the coil. Should have 500 or more resistance showing. If it is fried no ohms will show.

I just tested my 20 some year old Blaster coil..
Shows .8 ohms across the posts, and 11.23k ohms from each post to the tower. The latter doesn't really tell you much.

I Reused the factory coated coil wire as + lead after combining the brown/ Blue wires
wait, I thought you said the red wire is positive and the other black wire is ground? In reality is the red wire ground and the other 3 wires wrapped in black and connected to + terminal?

wait, I thought you said the red wire is positive and the other black wire is ground? In reality is the red wire ground and the other 3 wires wrapped in black
Ihave
wait, I thought you said the red wire is positive and the other black wire is ground? In reality is the red wire ground and the other 3 wires wrapped in black and connected to + terminal

wait, I thought you said the red wire is positive and the other black wire is ground? In reality is the red wire ground and the other 3 wires wrapped in black and connected to + terminal?
The negative side of the coil is only the orange wire from the MSD distributor.

The positive side of the coil has the red wire from the dist and one wire with a factory heat resistant sheathing that I repurposed. That heavy duty wire
Is spliced together at the firewall with the brown and blue wires.

Thr ground wire from the distributor goes to block.

This is a new dist.

Check the p/up air gap. If it has moved, & got larger, you will get no spark.

It doesn't figure. I just had the problem with no spark on my runner. Did not do anything but pull heads on the car to paint the shock towers over again and had a cracked head. Put it all back together and no fire. Even bought a new coil. Did not do anything to the wiring or distributor. I was stumped. Low voltage at the coil. Ballast resistor was getting hot. So took a few days and got it running. Tie raped my wires back at the bulkhead connector and to make it neat. No fire. This drove me crazy. So took a day off from it but still thinking what I did. It was running now it don't. As you all know I had a top rad hose blow off and fluid went everywhere. Had cleaned the bulkhead connector with contact cleaner. So revisited the connector and saw that it still looked dirty. Cleaned everything again and notice upon plugging the connector back on to the main plug the brown wire moves out. Pulled it back apart and the brown wire spade was loose in the connector. Had to bend the tab on it and push back into the block. Put the two plugs back together and used a small screwdriver with a flat blade and move the spades in further. Got fire. So just saying the simplest thing can get us. Sometimes we just have to walk away and go back at it later. Start afresh. Wish you luck with it and hope you get it figured out. :BangHead:

Man, you went through the same thing that I've randomly dealt with for YEARS.
It was never the same. Sometimes it would start fine for months, other times I'd touch nothing under the hood and it would get no spark. It could start and run, then I shut it down and try a few minutes later and no spark. It was never consistent and very hard to trace and correct. the last thing that I did was clean the bulkhead terminals and pack the plugs with dielectric grease. It has started reliably ever since but that doesn't mean much. I've gone a year or so between no spark episodes so maybe I fixed it, maybe it is just waiting to piss me off again.

The very reason I asked for volt meter readings and testing

I wanted to eliminate the easy stuff first

Hence the O P only owns a test light

Start with Volt Readings and ground
Remember it’s a RTR MSD

Then we can move to coils if that all pans out

Then the RTR Distributor itself
Cap Rotor Module

It did start so something overheated or lost full power and failed

Hopefully it wasn’t the RTR

Auto Transport Service
Back