• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comp VS. Custom Lunati

RRSweden

Local time
7:43 AM
Reaction score
Hi again.

Here's a thread for those who wants to give a rookie some input on a choice between two cams.
(some of you knows about my build from earlier, but here's what I've got)
383, stock rods, 1.900 flat top pistons, 915 heads (3-angle cut 2.14/1.81) unported, Edelbrock dp4b intake, holley 650dp, headers, stock dist.

Goal is a good, fun to drive streetcar capable of a few runs on the strip/year.

cam 1
Comp XE268h
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,600-5,800

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224

Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 230

Advertised Intake Duration: 268

Advertised Exhaust Duration: 280

Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.477 in.

Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.480 in.

Lobe Separation (degrees): 110

Cam 2
Custom made (Lunati) cam

Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,500-5,650

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224

Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 234

Advertised Intake Duration: ?

Advertised Exhaust Duration: ?

Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.466 in.

Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.488 in.

Lobe Separation (degrees): 114

the lunati is the same as the summit 6401, nothing special and much cheaper thru summit. the comp will make more torque.

You know it's been years since I worried about this stuff, but I go along with lwetot184. Great (?) minds think alike, I think.

Always have to remember that a little less duration & more lift works better on the "mainly" street application.

I vote voodoo too, I have to say 440 and 383's I have used them in have all surpassed my expectations...

Anyone with experience from Custom-cut lunati cams?
no custom cam recommendations, I`ve always matched my cam to my headflow, convertor, and rpm, and gearing, and car weight. has always worked for me. could it be better fom an (expert) , who knows/

Even though the lobe separation on the Lunati is 114?
yep, more torque. the lunati cam is 280 degrees seat timing on the intake and 290 degrees on the exhaust. the short intake duration with a 110lsa that the comp cams cam has will make more low and midrange torque. the installed centerline on the lunati is probably 112 vs 106 for the comp. there is a 112lsa version of the lunati cam ground by elgin, think the number is 988p, with 5 degrees of advance.
i don't care much for any of the comp "268 degree" cams but they will make some cylinder pressure because they close the intake valve quickly. the comp cam will close the intake valve 12 degrees sooner; that's a bunch. if it were me i'd do the mopar 272-.455 and call it a day.

What difference in caracterristics do you think the two cams would have?
(also, would it be a BIG difference or a minor?)

I also have to add that I have a manual 4-speed transmission.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back